My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas 2007

Still a bit behind time, this writing is about Christmas 2007. Our Christmas really began on Christmas Eve morning when the local gruntmonkeys and their parents came over for breakfast. After we had a good breaking of the fast together – with grits and all, y’all – we exchanged presents with them. The boys didn’t say anything about what they got and probably didn’t realize the cost – just enjoyed the small stuff they got. But the Spice and I had something for the three boys as a surprise.

After all the obvious presents were opened, we cleaned up the room a bit and sent the boys to the basement in the care of their big sis. The boy’s big present was covered by a quilt in the foyer. SSIL and I maneuvered it through the doorway into the den, installed batteries and covered it back up. We had purchased a battery-powered truck for them in which all three could ride – even had a working radio. The truck was a black Ford F-150 with all the Harley-Davidson decals attached to its surface.

We called the boys back up and when we had their attention we un-quilted the vehicle. Suddenly it was no longer just Christmas, it was New Year’s, July 4th, Thanksgiving and even Groundhog Day all wrapped up together. In mere seconds they were all three ensconced in the wondrous little truck and ready to ride. Since it was a bit hard to maneuver inside, we got it through the front door and off they went, with SSIL walking alongside. They made at least two round trips of MIL’s driveway and several yard excursions before they even thought about being tired of riding in “the truck”.

All three got to drive, with the two older boys doing this very well but the youngest had a bit of trouble. He knew how to make the truck go but was a little weak on the stopping part – plus he didn’t have the steering concept quite mastered. The adult walking with him had to do the steering – to keep it out of the pond. As it got on toward naptime, they packed up and headed back home – leaving the truck, as per their Mom, because they have no traffic-free or level place on which to ride.

A little later in the afternoon of Christmas Eve, we went over to YD’s to have supper with them. In attendance were the six of YD’s clan, MIL, BIL and the Spice and I. We had an excellent meal and cemented even tighter the bonds of family and gruntmonkeyship. My older bro was having a gathering at his place – with some family members that I don’t get to see very often – and later we left YD’s and traveled out there for further family tie cementing.

Older bro’s three offspring were in attendance along with various mates, their offspring and a couple of offspring mates – to say the least, the event was a real hoot. They had finger foods but food wasn’t particularly high on my agenda, since we had just finished a grand meal. Even at that, I did nibble on some odds and ends munchies. The Spice and I were both much expended from the pace of the day and finally parted company with them and headed back home.

I rested that night in much gladness that God invented families and felt blessed indeed that I had been with many of my loved ones that day. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Just perfect!! I'm sure the truck was a big hit...Watching those grands play with that will make it worth what you spent many times over!!

12/31/2007 12:51:00 AM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful, mr ed!

Any chance that we could see a picture of this truck? I'm trying very hard to picture it! I can't imagine anything big enough for three gruntmonkeys - but it sounds brilliant! I'm sure almost as much fun for you to watch, as them to drive around in.
Bless you!

12/31/2007 03:58:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Grandchildren are certainly a gift from God, and you make such wonderful grandparents!!!
Happy New Year!!!
Betty G

12/31/2007 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

From your words I can see you had a delightful Christmas and I'm so happy for you.

Happy New Year Ed and may 2008 be all you want it to be!

12/31/2007 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Glad you enjoyed Christmas. Have a Happy New Year too!

12/31/2007 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mr Eddie,

This sounds like a wonderful time you had on Christmas Eve. Makes me miss my earlier years with my grands- tho they never DO outgrow the love we have for them as grandparents! So we still have fun with them even when they grow up!

I'm happy you had a good Christmas and wish for you and yours a wonderful New Year!


Junie

12/31/2007 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Watching them ride in the truck was definitely a smile gathering episode for me. :)

UUTW - I received some instructions from niece about posting photos - who knows, maybe in a week or so. The truck has two seats in the front and a small pick-up bed in back for the third GM. It is really a hoot to see them ride.

itsboopchile - They seem to enjoy being with their "Pop pop" and maybe that's because I'm just a big kid myself. :)

brenda - It was a great Christmas and I am planning to have the best 2008 ever. :) I hope you and yours have a happy one as well.

AC - May your New Year be all you hope for plus any blessing you might have missed in 2007.

junierose - They do grow up so fast, so I'm getting all the mileage that I can out of their childhood. Who knows, there might be another itsy bitsy before I kick the bucket. May your coming year be the best ever. ec

12/31/2007 10:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home