My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

completion

The end of last week found me nearing the completion of parts of the outdoor digging and dirt-moving project. There were only two shrubbery stumps left to remove and three or four more carts of dirt that needed to be placed. The temperature of the week was just right for outside work and I had labored in a T-shirt most of the time, especially later in the day.

I did branch out into another project on Friday in the midst of the ongoing one. This one was fairly short and involved placing more straw in the blueberry bed that is on the side of our driveway. The straw was acquired from our neighbor who has many pine trees on his place. He piles up his excess straw for anyone that needs it and that day I was the one. I had wanted to add the straw for a while but this was the first good opportunity and it was gratifying to get that side project done.

During the holiday week my walking schedule had bit the dust, only walking a couple of times but this last week I have been right on track. My walking distance is 2.8 miles per day and even though I was working in the yard, I still managed to walk – but when I came in afterwards, I crashed. Of course the Spice does her job of scolding me for overdoing things, as I am somewhat wont to do.

My thoughts along those lines would say that the better shape one keeps their body in, the more one can do and the longer one can do it. She does have a point though because I possibly could turn the energy expenditure level down just a bit and not be quite so ‘crashed out’ when I get through.

Come Saturday my back was giving me little tiny fits, so I decided that this was my “stay inside” day. Involved in this was the TV, videos, computer and a comfy chair. One thing I did worthwhile was to go out and gather the dead flower heads to have flower seed for next year. I also gathered the dried okra pods and shucked the seeds from them to save for next year’s veggies.

The second good thing was to go for my walk and as whacked out as my back was, it loosened up by the second lap. Sunday AM the back was back into mini-fits – I made it through Sunday school and almost the entire sermon. I had to depart for the van a little early and recline until the Spice came out – we did not make it back for PM church.

Monday came and the back was somewhat back to normal – in spite of this, I did not venture outside until the PM. We went for our walk early and when I got back, I finished uprooting the last two shrubbery stumps and hauled six loads of dirt – I spread this and placed bricks under the rain gutter to prevent erosion – just in case it ever rains again – that phrase seems to be a common theme.

The only project not completed is the hauling of the dirt from the north boundary – this will be an ongoing thing, I will just have to find another place to put it. Though I paid a bit of a price for overdoing things, it feels so good to be able to work outside. My amazement at this world God created causes me to commune with Him and express my thanks for His works. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope your back stops misbehavin' itself, Mr. E!

May there always be work for your hands to do.
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine upon your window pane.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near to you and
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

12/04/2007 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I mostly behaved today and it is better. Thanks for the pronouncement of blessings - the last one especially is a constant, my heart is made glad by the Lord. ec

12/05/2007 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ You sure are getting things done which is great, but when you work so hard in the garden, maybe you should cut down the walks a bit.
You do qquite a bit of walking while you work. Please take care.
Thanks for your comments and also the good wishes for Geoff who will be 50
tomorrow. It sounds young to me too.
I hope you are having a good week. Regards, Merle.

12/06/2007 05:14:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Things get so busy at times that I'm not able to get to what I really like - writing and reading blogs. Hope your week is going as well as mine. ec

12/10/2007 11:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home