My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, December 02, 2007

sunset

The day dawned as a very different one and even though it had some of the same old looks and characteristics, it had much of the new and unique – probably was meant to be that way. Even though we didn’t get much of a rain the day before, it was enough to make the air smell fresh, like well-scrubbed younguns after a bath. As I set out for my first adventure of the morning, I could still see the moon in the cloudless sky – faint because of the sunlight but distinct nonetheless.

The adventure was to meet friends for breakfast and the route was via the interstate in a section that is seeing much construction – with its delays, lane shifts and such. It is said that it will be an improvement – hopefully so, when completed – if it ever is. Even though it was not particularly early – 9am – my body seemed to think so and had not gone beyond the grunt and groan stages.

I noticed on the way that the meager rain and wind denuded many of the trees along the highway and there was little leaf color left to enjoy – but I enjoyed what was still there. In the road construction sections, the pavement had been ground down in areas for lane shifts and it had a peculiar sound and song as the tires hummed over these areas. It had several notes that I couldn’t make out as a particular tune but it was singing to me anyway. It was unique but would have been hard to dance to.

Had a good breakfast with a couple of my brothers in Christ and a time of much conversation and laughter. It seems to me that we solved several major problems of the world – not that anyone would particularly take our advice but we solved them nonetheless. In fact we had so much fun that when we parted ways I felt almost totally awake as I headed back to the home front.

Back at home, the Spice and I decided to go ahead and do our walk because it had been several days since our busy schedule had allowed it. I did my usual 2.8 miles and she did somewhat less because we had to get showers before we went to our back-cracker appointment, and it takes her a bit longer to get ready. One main reason is that she has hair to fix and I do not.

After our appointment we decided to eat out since we were in the area anyway. Very few folks were there because it was between lunch and supper. Of late, we usually don’t eat but two meals a day, with maybe an added snack. One meal a day would be fine with me – but that meal would last all day and this would result in an altogether different set of problems – weighty ones, I might add.

Even though I consider the words mall and shop four letter words that one should stay away from, the mall was nearby and the Spice had a couple of things she wanted to check on. So after we ate, I took her to this shopping area like a dutiful husband should – besides, there was a new sporting goods store there that I had been wanting to check out. But then what I had greatly feared came upon me when I realized that I had finished my perusal long before she was done.

She finally came out just before dark but she did not come out alone, as one might suspect. She was accompanied by a couple of bags – of what and how much I did not know. Her immediate retort was that it could have been much more. In the midst of the going home traffic, we were blessed to view an absolutely glorious sunset. It was a pinkish peach color reflecting off the clouds with shadings of grey and blue and was a treat for the eyes and soul. It was God’s gift to us and I was grateful. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

My goodness,

You have full days- but good ones!

Sunsets are among God's greatest gifts to us!


Junie

12/03/2007 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I am glad you had a couple of meals out. That is nice to do sometimes. I like your idea of one meal a day lasting all day. I like my three I'm afraid. Thanks for your comments and I am sorry that I didn't include a meaning of Compo. We are used to it. Glad you liked the cuckoo joke. Fancy winning a huge amount of money thinking a cuckoo nests in a clock. Take care and don't work too hard. Best Wishes, Merle.

12/03/2007 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - Really great sunsets can be a near religious experience - and this one was a great one.

merle - Our meals are a mishmash of going out, bringing home take out, the occasional home cooked stuff and even leftovers. I have been hard at work lately and may just call a rest day tomorrow. ec

12/03/2007 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, Mr. E! “Mall” and “shop” four letter words that one should avoid.

Overall, it sounds like an enjoyable time.

12/04/2007 04:39:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I am able to avoid them most of the time but you are right that time was not so bad. :) ec

12/05/2007 12:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home