My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, December 31, 2007

2 Christmas 2007

Still catching up, time wise – Christmas Day began very slowly for me and of late, slow is very much to my liking. Later in the morning when we finally got our act together, we made a trip over to Younger Daughter’s to see the presents of the gruntmonkeys – a necessary trip. We enjoyed very much seeing their excitement – maybe that should read bouncing off the walls. YD lives about 9 miles away, Older Daughter lives 1000 miles away in Texas and since they came for Thanksgiving, we had to enjoy their Christmas by phone and by photos via email.

The Spice and I had driven separately and while she drove back home for some prep for the family meal that evening at our house, I headed in the other direction to share in the gathering of a very good friend and family. This family is as much like my own as it gets without actually being so. The visit was shorter than I would have preferred but I gathered as many smiles as I could and headed back home to give the Spice some aid and comfort concerning the meal of the evening.

Arriving home, I found the prep humming right along but with more to do, so I started humming along with the rest of the hums. Soon others were arriving with their covered dishes and quite a feast was assembled post haste. 19 members of the Spice’s family populated our gathering – including our daughter and her clan. 7 of these are the great-grands of Mema – the Spice’s Mom.

When all were assembled, we read the Christmas story from Luke’s gospel, had prayer together and set upon the victuals – or vittles, depending on your upbringing. There was a steady stream of eating, teasing, laughing and just generally enjoying each other’s presence. We are blessed with a basement “game room” (?) and after the meal, the young ones – and most of the noise – went downstairs to play. We all finally wound down and those with homes elsewhere departed to them.

The whole Christmas season was a wonderful time of family togetherness. And even though it was a very busy time, it was a season for collecting smiles, those precious expressions that stick in the memory for a long time – maybe a lifetime. Before this season I was an unofficial smile collector, but this year I have made the declaration and now am official – and will memory-save even the smallest grin. When my mind sees a face, I want to remember it with a smile attached thereunto.

The time since Christmas has flown by. The Wednesday after was a day of rest except for gathering all the trash and cardboard and hauling it to the landfill. Thursday found the Spice and I back at the back cracker with good results, then on to Sam’s Wholesalers and to pick up the gruntmonkeys to keep while their Mom cleaned up and packed for the beach trip they were taking on Saturday.

Friday flew by and Saturday morning YD’s whole clan took off for Myrtle Beach. Herein lies a wondrous thing though – their condo was for a week and they can only stay four nights because of coming back for school starting again. The Spice and I are the fortunate ones that get to complete the week for them. We will be going down on Wednesday and coming back on Saturday – and as usual, I will fill you in on every detail ad nauseam.

The Spice and I hope you and yours will have the happiest New Year ever. One that is blessed by God and filled with unexplainable joy – that type only comes from Him. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Fortunate indeed whenever we can get the grands all together.. Did you get that camera for Christmas?

Happy New Year!!

12/31/2007 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Just catching up with everyone after a week at my younger daughter's home. We had a lovely time together as I see you have had with your grands. I bet the kids have a lot of fun with that truck you and your wife got for them. I hope you are over the respiratory ptoblem you were having. Thanks for your comments about my family photos. I look forward to seeing some of yours here. Have a very Happy, Healthy and prosperous 2008 and take care,
Warmest regards, Merle.

1/01/2008 06:40:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Mr. E!

"As we start the New Year,
Let's get down on our knees
to thank God we're on our feet."
-Irish Toast

1/01/2008 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Smile Collecting sounds like a wonderful hobby!

Happy New Year to you! Thanks for all you've added to my life this past year, and I look forward to more of your fabulous posts through 2008! :)

1/01/2008 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - We have one already but the Spice is the one that has been using it of late. Need to get back into the hobby though.

merle - The grands make holidays a more joyous time, with their unbridled joy and brand-new excitement. I did collect many smiles.

SSN - Thanks much and my wish for you is the best year ever.

kila - I have been smile collecting for years, I just didn't think about it as such. Thanks much for the kind words. ec

1/01/2008 08:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home