My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, January 07, 2008

Myrtle 2

The beach trip saga continues. The day was still Jan. 2nd and all the gruntmonkeys were in from the pool and the three young ones were put in an assembly line to get dried off and their clothes on. They then loaded all their baggage up to head back home and we all went up to the Riverside Café, a couple of blocks north, to have lunch together before they departed.

The name of the place seems to be a misnomer since the only body of water nearby is the Atlantic Ocean – one can see the waves from their porch. It is a local hangout that probably has the best hamburgers in the Myrtle Beach area. It is especially popular in the summer; in fact, one can hardly get in the place. It is also a bit odd in that everything on the walls and even the walls are filled with magic marker graffiti – mostly names, dates and hometowns – just something they do.

We ordered hamburgers all around and they were excellent. The Spice also had an order of fried onion rings – they were huge and delicious as well. We had a good time with the gruntmonkeys – they seemed to be fascinated with the odd wall decorations, especially since they were all written upon. One could say that we really saw the writing on the wall. It was a bit sad when they all had to leave but they had to get two of the young ones back to resume school the next day.

They headed back to North Augusta, SC and the Spice and I went by the grocery for a few items to sustain us during our stay. We then went back to the condo, unloaded our stuff and just sat around and enjoyed the evening. We watched a movie together and then I watched a bowl game while she read – we are such live wires. The wind was high and the temp low but it was warm in the condo.

We awoke on January 3rd to a very cold, yet bright sunny day and as soon as I could plug all the brain circuits back together, I gazed out the sliding glass door upon the beautiful waters of the Atlantic Ocean. I was a bit puzzled by the change from the night before in that the beach, right at the water line, had been filled with gulls and today none were in evidence. It turned out that they had just moved down the beach a little to an area that was blocked from my view.

Upon going outside a little later to check out the scenery, my memory was refreshed as to why the gulls were there in large numbers. There is a fresh water stream flowing from a marsh across the road from the condo and they were congregating in, around or near that water as it was flowing into the ocean. Looking way up and down the beach, I saw a few hardy souls but even these were tightly wrapped against the biting wind and cold of the early morning.

Our place of stay has nine floors and we usually stay on the 7th floor and enjoy the excellent view from the balcony. Our stay this time was on the first floor and while I miss the panoramic view, one also doesn’t have to constantly traverse the elevators – or stairs. The only time I used stairs was the three steps necessary to get to the pool when we first arrived.

As I started back inside, I heard a noise and turned to see the edge of an aerial platform on the end of the building up around the 7th floor. Checking this out, I was surprised to see three Hispanic men up on this long platform just painting away. The surprise was multifaceted in that (a) it very cold – less than 20F – (b) it was very windy and (c) the last time I read paint directions it said that one should not paint below a certain temp and I was almost sure the temp was too cold for this application.

I guess a man has to do what a man has to do. God is still good, whether it is cold or not. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Even Canadians wouldn't paint outside in those temps.

1/08/2008 08:42:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I wouldn't even be outside in those temps, let alone try to paint.

Glad you had a good time. We have a whole section of streets here (new subdivision) all named after something to do with water. The nearest water to them is an irrigation canal. Seacrest? We're 135 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Go figure.

1/08/2008 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Such a peaceful time, I almost envy you.
But I got a kick out of your words, "we are such live wires."
Happy birthday to me, I am 82, today!
Betty G

1/08/2008 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

This sounds like just a perfect little get-away to me!

I know you both enjoyed it!


Junie

1/08/2008 09:51:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Didn't make a lot of sense to me either - it probably will fall off right after they leave.

granny - It was almost too cold for anyone to be outside, especially painters. They do come up with some strange names in these subdivisions.

itsboopchile - It was a great time for the Spice and I to just be together. Happy Birthday!!!

junierose - The only negative was that it was cold but that was easy to overcome - it was great. ec

1/08/2008 11:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home