My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

cruise 3

Next morning the PA system in the hallway informed us that we were docked in Cozumel – the speaker also told of the documents we would need to exit and re-board the ship. Many folks that had booked various adventures and tours were already out and about. We arose and went up to get a bite to eat. We got a window seat and watched the travel of various boats around the area.

There was a smaller Carnival cruise ship just leaving the port accompanied by what looked to be a Mexican military boat, don’t know what that was about. Another boat that looked to be a ferry set out loaded down with people. A couple of para-sailing boats were doing their thing in the bay. Another touring boat set out, as did several boats that were taking scuba divers out to the reef for a look-see.

Some fishing boats were also leaving on this very clear, very aqua colored sea. It had to be deep for the ships to even be docked there, but it looked like you could almost see the bottom and it was absolutely beautiful. We finished eating, went by the cabin for some necessary things and then got off the ship to see what this Mexican island was all about – this was our first visit there.

We were docked to a concrete pier that went several hundred yards out from the shore. We walked the distance and encountered a road that was lined with shops and the locals were striving to make a living from the tourist’s dollars. We toured in and out of many of those, at least the ones that were on our list of reputable stores. We enjoyed the sights and sounds and endured the heat. They said it was only about 80F but it seemed much hotter – maybe they have a different sun than in the US.

We bought a few t-shirts in Del Sol – all products in the store change colors in the sun, their trademark. We also bought a couple of bottles of Mexican vanilla for the daughters. We finally tired of this venture and started back toward the ship. Many taxis and horse carriages were there for folks to ride and one of carriages was stopped in the street with its driver inside a store for a break.

Suddenly the horse just started walking away without a driver. A couple of the workers at the shop grabbed the reins and this caused the horse to turn into traffic and into a near miss with an auto. This halted the flow of cars until they could finally get the horse to straighten back up. About this time the driver showed up, the horse started off again without him and he had to run to get aboard.

We walked on by and all the shop workers were really having a laugh at this whole event. I felt sorry for the horse because of the rough treatment, as well as having to just be out in the hot sun. It seemed like the horse had had enough of the whole scene. It had only taken us a couple of hours to see all we wanted to see and we went back aboard to find a cool place – our cabin.

We went to an earlier show before supper – a juggler that was very good at what he did and a comedian that wasn’t particularly comical. We then went to supper and enjoyed the company of our fellows and the fellowship enhanced meal. We bummed around the ship a bit and went back to the cabin to crash for the evening. I was grateful to the Lord for the many sights and sounds of the day. ec


Blogger Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

I have never been on a cruise ship. I am really appreciating vicariously joining you on your cruise.

4/16/2008 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - You would have enjoyed it, several were on the cruise that were incapacitated in various ways and they went all out to be of assistance. ec

4/16/2008 12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I have enjoyed reading about your cruise. It sounds
like you are having a great time, so enjoy the rest of your cruise. It all
sounds like a lot of pleasure and you should feel rested afterwards.
Take care, Best regards, Merle.

4/16/2008 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

T-shirts would have been my purchase too...One of my children bought me a t-shirt while they were cruising..and he brought his dad a leather mexican hat...My friends took pictures and I have looked at them often as they were left in a file on my old computer...

4/16/2008 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - We are back now but it was a very restful time together with the Spice.

ancient one - T-shirts seem to be the universal purchase for the 'grand ones'. ec

4/16/2008 11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home