My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, March 21, 2008

BBH 423

The time has arisen for another Blueberry Hill report. As I walked out the garage door, the first things that caught my notice were the blueberry plants on the north side of the driveway. All are in full bloom and the bees are really working overtime to feed and to pollinate the flowers – the principle is, no bees, no berries. It might be a bit unnerving for some to have bees buzzing around their heads but as I walk among the plants it really doesn’t bother me and I’m grateful for their labors.

On the other side of the drive are the four small paw-paw trees and after close examination one can see just the start of small leaves – brownish in color. Three of them had small blooms starting to open. The one closest to the street had two flowers already open and they are the strangest looking things I have seen in some time. The color was mostly brown with just a hint toward burgundy, petals and all. Only a few insects will pollinate these flowers and I’m not sure we have any of those here.

The two June berry tree leaves are just starting to bud out, as are the couple of cornelian cherries. This latter is the only member of the dogwood family with berries edible for humans. The small, stubborn pecan tree that I moved from the garden to the front yard has no outward signs of even thinking about leaves as yet. The three young hazelnut trees are in the very early stages of budding.

The four fig trees that last years cold snap almost killed on the bedroom end of the house have yet to show any signs of leaves, hopefully they will finally start to prosper this year. The young blueberry bushes on this end are mostly in bloom but are in dire need of more mulch – hope to get to that soon. The problem with that is they have to have the grass and weeds cleaned out first.

The mystery tree down by the pond has almost finished blooming and the remaining “hips” of the flowers are showing signs of swelling – it almost has to be in the pear family. In the rear of the house, the fruiting pear has many flowers and if they all become pears, it will really be loaded. Down the hill on the garage end, the muscadines have yet to put out any growth. Going back up the hill and next to them, the 5 large hazelnut trees are just starting to show signs of leaves.

Next up the hill is the main blueberry patch, which is in full bloom and the bees are really having a picnic with the flowers – these plants also need to be cleaned out and more straw placed. Next to the house, the rugosa rose and thorn-less blackberries have small new green leaves. The largest fig tree has only a few small leaves with several other branches promising more soon.

The fig tree on the other end of the garden is showing no signs of life and is probably still in shock from the severe pruning I gave it. This was because it was trying to grow over into the garden. The garden is ready to till up but about the time it dries out enough, it rains again but it will soon happen.

In other growing news, YD (younger daughter) is pregnant again, this time with twins!! I would appreciate prayers for a safe and healthy delivery. The official due date is Nov. 1, but the doc said that typically twins are two to three weeks early. God is good – all the time!!!!! ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am still awaiting the blooms. They can’t be far off!

3/21/2008 08:02:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hey ec: I ppreciate your prose, but it's almost time to get a digital camera and get one your many advisors to show you how to upload them to Blogger. :)

3/21/2008 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I agree with anvilcloud. If I can operate a digital and post images, anyone can.

Incidentally, Anvilcloud is one of the best at explaining things that even I can understand. I can't count the number of times he's bailed me out.

Ray is still enjoying his gardening. His latest project is removing the more obnoxious weeds from the yard. We found some with a root about the size of a parsnip and tough enough to destroy a lawn mower.

3/22/2008 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Your post makes me want spring to hurry up and arrive full swing here. :) And I really love blueberries!

3/22/2008 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Maybe your flowers will arrive this week or next, shouldn't be too far behind ours.

AC - I do agree, it's just a matter of time.

granny - I'm glad that Ray feels like being out in the garden, that is a good sign. Some of those weed roots are really a pain.

tim rice - The blueberries are well on the way but there is a cold night coming up this week, hopefully it won't do any damage to them. ec

3/23/2008 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I have been, and it has been a long time, trying to find out what the trees were in Memphis we called Paw-Paw. I found out I was wrong about them when I read of yours.
Now after looking at a picture maybe our trees were Paulownia trees.
Do you know that tree?
Betty G

3/24/2008 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - I looked it up also to refresh my memory and I have seen those trees around here. They are beautiful when blooming and are very fast growers. ec

3/28/2008 12:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home