My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

atwitter

On another day, at another time but on the same measured walking track – that doubles as a driveway for MIL – another walk was taking place. One of the highlights of the evening had already taken place – the leaving of the geese – and I really had nothing to turn my attention to but the smooth as glass surface of the pond and the leafless trees with the green pines in the background.

Since the trees were not creating noise and moving very little, the only thing to hear was the traffic down on the highway – I could see them move by occasionally between the trees. I can hear the footfalls of my feet but they sound so much alike that it’s hard to tell which sound comes from the right foot and which from the left. I guess I could always look but that would be too easy.

As mentioned in other writings, there are three security lights that somewhat illuminate my walking route after dark. One is at the beginning of the driveway, one on our side of the pond and one at MIL’s garage. As I walked, I waited with bated breath to see which of these lights would illumine first.

This expression about the breath has been misspelled ‘baited’ – as though one’s breath suddenly smelled like earthworms. This spelling has even been used in professional writings but is incorrect. Bate is a contraction of abate and means reduced, lessened or lowered in force. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe – to be in a state of suspenseful anticipation.

This was the state in which I found myself and as the walk progressed, the light down at the pond came on and I anxiously waited for the other two to light up – isn’t this exciting? One thing I don’t have to watch out for this time of year is the no-shouldered tubular type critters lying on the drive – that would really be exciting. Then the light at MIL’s garage started to glow just as I came by it on my next to last lap. The turn-around is just past there and by the time I came back by, it had lighted fully.

This excitement had me all atwitter – or as a certain Disney movie would say – twitter-pated. To top it off, as I was about to the halfway mark of the last lap, the light at the driveway/street added it’s light to the illumination. It was a marvelous evening and a wonder my heart would stand such wonderful stress. Can you tell that there is not a lot going on here or maybe that I have too much time on my hands – or possibly too much recorder in my hands?

It truly is a very exciting thing to be the friend of a God who loves me very much (John 15:15). And I wait with bated breath and am atwitter just thinking about what great things He is doing and will do in my life as I continue to trust His Word. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Uh, yes.

3/12/2008 01:57:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Yes, but...

I laughed through the whole thing... You see how lame my last post is...

Don't need too much excitement, though, at my age...LOL

3/12/2008 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Yes, but...

I laughed through the whole thing... You see how lame my last post is...

Don't need too much excitement, though, at my age...LOL

3/12/2008 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Beautiful!

There is nothing wrong with having time on your hands - especially when you spend it reflecting on something as great as our God! :)

I know he has wonderful things in store for you.

I had to laugh at the "baited" breath, and will forever think of earthworms when I see someone miss-use the word. :)

Your writing is always a breath of fresh air!

3/12/2008 02:38:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I, too, had to laugh at "baited" breath, and from now on will think of earthworms when I see that! Thank you for the lesson!
I'd often thought that "baited breath" didn't seem quite right.

Enjoy your walks. :)

3/12/2008 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie~~ I like the word
atwitter and was happy to learn the correct spelling of bated breath.
It is good you keep up with the walking and thinking and you keep us entertained at the same time. God sure got it right with grandkids!!
Thanks for your comments. Your weather sounds just right to me - mid
70sF is about 25 or 26 C Just nice.
We expect 38 tomorrow, just over 100F
Take care, Regards, Merle.

3/13/2008 05:24:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Uh, yes indeed! :)

ancient one - I find that the older I get the less excitement I need as well. :)

UUTW - Thanks but I do get a little silly at times - but only when I'm awake.

kila - The oddities in the language are the things I look for and enjoy.

merle - I have been enjoying the warmer weather. Hopefully your temps will turn cooler soon. ec

3/13/2008 11:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home