My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, March 09, 2008

grands and such

And then it was another day and on this day two of the gruntmonkeys played basketball at the local church gym. GM3 and GM4 are 4 and 5 years old and they are in the very early learning stages of the game but one has to start somewhere. The goals were lowered to about 6 feet and they had a great time running around, passing the ball and shooting for the basket. Two things didn’t happen very much – dribbling and scoring – but much fun was had and energy was expended.

We got back home and I finished up the b’fast that I had only just begun before we had to rush out the door. Then it was outside to continue the bramble eradication project – as well as any other weed that happened to present itself. I worked for about an hour until my back started spasms, whereupon I reentered the house and held down the floor with my body for a while until it settled down.

Then I observed the ceremony of lunch, relaxed a while and went back into the lower yard for some more pruning on the muscadines. Soon it will be time to till up the garden for planting, but I usually don’t plant until after Good Friday or else the Easter “cold snap” will freeze the little sprouts. I have waited as late as the first part of May and still had a good crop of veggies – hopefully not this year.

I quit the toil early enough to go on my walk before the sun went down but this left out two great events of the evening. The geese depart the pond area just after sundown and I may miss that all together – bummer! The second thing left out is the lighting of the security lights that come on just a short while after the geese leave. The leaving geese do not make the lights activate but the degree of darkness – just in case that brilliant observation had not occurred to you.

It took a while after the Texas trip to get back into the routine of the walking but I’m back into regularity now. It is so easy to get out of good habits and hard to get back into them. Conversely it is easy to get into bad habits and hard to get out of the bad ways. If it was as easy to get out of bad habits as it is to get out of good ones the world would be a wonderful place – maybe, but we still have a choice in the matter. And you know some would choose the bad just to be aggravating.

Speaking of Texas, I received a GM report from there. It seems that OD’s church had a motivational speaker for the awards ceremony of their youth basketball program. This was held in their main auditorium and while the speaker was motivating, GM5 (the 3 yr old) was squirming and making minor noises. His Mom told him, “you are going to have to be quiet, this is God’s house”. He sat still a minute, looked up front and with big eyes asked his Mom “Is that God up there?” I did laugh a lot.

A couple of mornings this last week, after his Dad had gone to work and his sister had left for school, GM5 looked up at his Mom and said, “Well, it’s just me and you again.” I do so much enjoy grands; didn’t God do ‘good’ when He made them? ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is so easy to get out of good habits and hard to get back into them. Conversely it is easy to get into bad habits and hard to get out of the bad ways.

Sad but true. Hope the back holds up. Mine seems to be on the mend again.

3/10/2008 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

EC,


I love to read your 'grand' stories! :)


Junie

3/10/2008 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Hope your back is mended soon, mine is gradually getting better - if I don't do something dumb like overuse. The ab-lounger is really helping.

junierose - Thanks! It's fun living these stories too - the girls are great, but these little guys really get to me. ec

3/11/2008 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home