My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, February 17, 2008

6 TX 0208

When I went to bed the night before, I was relatively sure that 2-15-2008 would happen and sure enough, when I woke up there it was in all its partly cloudiness. FSIL took the day off from work and took OD to Houston to just have a day together. They were going to do some shopping (GM5’s birthday is the 17th), then go out for supper and catch a movie. That was at our insistence since we didn’t mind at all watching the two young ones.

GM5 is normally an early riser and was already up and about when I drug out of the sack. OD returned shortly from car pooling her group to school and a little while later they were off to the big city – about an hour north of here. Then it was just the little grunt and the Spice and I to hold down the fort until GM2 got back from school. He had already eaten and was watching “Little Bear” so I had a few moments of quietness in which to eat and read the scripture. My usual is usually cereal, wetted down with ‘Silk’, and a cup of yogurt – usually.

Either the Spice or I kept him occupied until his nap time – he doesn’t like the ‘nap’ word – or action – any better than the SC gruntmonkeys. We relaxed ourselves until he arose an hour or so later. GM2 came in from school just a short while later and our plan for the evening was set in motion. OD and FSIL had left us the van for transportation, so we loaded up and by special request, went over to Chik-fil-A for our evening meal.

We were soon ensconced at a table in that establishment enjoying some chicken related food products. Everything was going smoothly when I noticed GM5 looking out the window and waving. I glanced and didn’t see anyone in the gathering darkness and I asked him who he was waving at. His very innocent reply was, “At the flag – it’s waving at me”. It took me a while to regain my composure and once again I marveled at the very simplistic logic of the young. He laughed along with me, though he was not exactly sure why.

We headed back to their home front and just hung out until time for the little one’s bed time. GM2 gets to stay up later since she doesn’t have school on Saturday – she did have a basketball game next morning but that was not as early as school. GM2 later showed us how to operate their “Wii” game and even got the Spice to try out the bowling, baseball and tennis – I didn’t feel up to the challenge, so I just watched.

The weather had looked threatening all evening and we did get a strong shower later on. We finally went to bed, knowing that OD and FSIL would still be a while on their day and evening out. Saturday (2-16-2008) arrived in a very ominous fashion with dark skies promising much rain. We all got b’fast and headed to the gym at the church school for the basketball game. Much energy was expended in running and dribbling of the ball by the young ladies but not enough scoring was done by GM2’s team and they lost the contest.

They seemed to take the loss in stride, enjoy the event and then went to get their refreshments and team awards. It might be good if we adults took our disappointments less seriously, enjoy what we can and go on with the most important parts of our lives, the relationships. Of course the most important one of these is the one we can have with Jesus Christ. He loves us but it’s our choice whether or not we have a real relationship with Him. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the waving to the flag bit. It's so good to remember how sweet and innocent our little ones are.
Betty G

2/17/2008 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Good Post! You and Spice are good grandparents. I know all your GM's love y'all!! Chick-fil-A is one of our favorites too!! I love the way you end your posts with a reference to Jesus. I also thank you for coming by and commenting on my last post "Free"!

2/17/2008 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Our babies do remind us to look closely at the little things, don't they? I'm so amazed when I get a glimpse of life through their eyes, things I thought I'd forgotten.

2/17/2008 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~How nice of you and your wife to mind the kids so their parents could have time together.
It is so important and it sounds like they would enjoy it. You are both gteat grandparents as Ancient one said. Good you found a nice little teddy-bear for Valentines Day. I also liked the wave to the flad. After all it was waving at him !!
Thanks for your comments. Take care,
Kind regards, Merle.

2/18/2008 08:40:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - I'm constantly amazed and amused by what they do and say.

ancient one - We do enjoy the gruntmonkeys very much. :)

brenda - So true! They see some amazing things that we have forgotten to be amazed by.

merle - They are constantly doing the cute to the max stuff and I am trying to enjoy all I can before they outgrow their cuteness. :) ec

2/18/2008 11:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home