My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

the list

It actually became the day about which I am writing before I went to bed. So after I went to bed, slept and arose, I had been in the “arms of Morpheus” for most of the day. I took nourishment for body and spirit, made a list of things to get and do at various locations, hung around the house in the clutches of miscellany for a while and finally headed out in an effort to bring to completion the items on my list.

First stop was the post office and in our PO box I had a notification to pick up an item from the postal clerk up front – it was too large for the box. Wouldn’t you know that they were closed half of that day and I had arrived during the wrong half – will have to get that another day. Then my route carried me by the ATM for some necessary cash to complete my planned transactions for the afternoon.

The next stop was at my favorite place to shop and though shop is a four-letter word, I consider this place above any cursory or mundane definition of that word or any other standard or crude four-letter sentence segment. This place of business is Lowe’s, a wondrous and fascinating place where one with such convictions as myself can wander about in wonder and time ceases to be important.

Even though my list only contained a couple of items for this location, I still got a shopping cart just in case. I was immediately drawn to one of my two favorite places in the store – the yard and garden tool section. As I eased slowly through the section, I hefted several of the hand tools for weight and balance. I glanced around to see if anyone was watching as I lovingly caressed several of these.

Most all of these implements were in my possession at home, or at least the older version of them, so I finally talked myself out of buying anything and went on to another section. I wandered on through the chainsaw aisle before I could finally break the hold and get on to my task. One list item was picked up and the other was not found to my liking and I determined to look elsewhere for it.

The list items for this location were in cart but I still went by my very favorite section of the store – the tool department. This section was just as fascinating as the outdoor tools, just amplified because there were so many more of them. I walked down almost every aisle – is there such a thing as tool lust? I tried not to drool on too many items before I finally talked myself into leaving.

Going to the automated checkout, I paid for my items and departed the store, looking back over my shoulder somewhat wistfully in the direction of the tools. Next stop was at Wally world for a few necessary things. These super stores are so big that one could get their exercise just by walking from one end to the other. I did walk down a few of the food aisles just to let the grocery side know that I had not forgotten it. Then I paid the piper and headed on home.

It was too late for lunch and early for supper, but I still got a bite to eat and had to call it “lupper”. After this I went out into the garden to spend some vengeance on the weeds and brambles that proliferated during the in between season. This was in prep for the spring garden and just one of the many things that I have yet to complete this dormant season.

Spring will come, whether we are ready for it or not and our world is in God’s control, whether or not people know or admit it. And God is good, all the time. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I'm sure ready for Spring, I love when things are growing and green. I do hope for a less stormy Spring though.

2/06/2008 08:32:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Lowes... my third most hated store...Agri-Supply being first and Tractor-Supply being second...These are all men's stores..LOL My husband can spend hours in all of the above.

I love flea markets and antique stores.

Today is another spring day. Outside temp is 81 right now! I need to go enjoy some of that weather.~Later!!

2/06/2008 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - I don't enjoy the storms either but do like the rain they bring. Hopefully we won't get a late freeze this year and kill all the berries.

ancient one - Not only can I spend way too much time in Lowe's, I could spend way too much money if I let myself. It has been warm here too, and we even got some rain during the day. ec

2/06/2008 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home