My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

recorders

A chance of rain had been predicted for Tuesday (Feb 26th) and we awoke to a dark and foreboding day. We had a couple of appointments for the day so after cranking up in the usual ways, we set forth to accomplish them. The first was a doc appointment for the Spice and the second was to meet with the senior’s group from church for lunch. These were on the same side of town so I went along and drove the Spice for the first and then we would go from there to the second.

It was a good thing I could drop her off at the door because it had started raining in a serious fashion by the time we arrived at the doc’s. After letting her out I just parked in the lot and had a fairly long discussion with my small recorder and also worked some crosswords while waiting. After a while, I picked her up again at the door and we headed to our luncheon appointment.

We were one of the first ones at the restaurant because her doc visit was shorter than we had thought. They gathered in, a fair sized group in number – 17 – and we had a good meal together with much conversation and fellowship. All too soon it was over and we departed to do whatever we all were going to do afterwards – and did it – I’m supposing. I was glad that the rain had stopped.

The rest of the day was a slow blur of unnamed miscellany. The week moved on and at a certain time period a scripture verse from Job came true for me. The verse says, “For the thing I had greatly feared has come upon me, and what I dreaded has happened to me.”

This may sound dramatic but one very close to me for a number of years has died. Many folks get very attached to their dog, cat or even hamster but this was closer than that. The death wasn’t a result of a traumatic injury or a weird disease but we were just talking to each other and then it was over. I don’t remember the exact age of this dear one but for one so small it had reached old age.

We had many personal moments together and I could share anything with this one, from the sad to the silly and not be concerned about it being repeated to just anyone. This one was always there to listen and really hear what I had to say – and to remember it enough to repeat it back to me exactly, in case I forgot. And even though this one suffered though accidental abuse from me, it was faithful to the end and still did exactly what it was supposed to do.

This near and dear one to me was my small micro-cassette recorder that I have used for the last several years. And through the years of usage, I didn’t even think to name this little instrument. I did grieve for the loss, but not too long because I had grown accustomed to having one and so I purchased another to replace it. It was de-boxed, checked out and even taken on a walk.

The subject of a name for the new recorder came to my mind. After much thought – nearly a minute – I realized I had to name it Natasha, the name I wanted to use for one of our girls but the Spice didn’t like it – maybe because I got the name from a comic book. It then seemed that I should have some sort of ceremony on the occasion of the old recorder’s passing. I’m vacillating between an interment in a miniature coffin and just chunking it in the trash – sentimentality only goes so far.

Time and our electronic helpers do pass on and we just have to make the best of it. Still in all, God is good. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We can get attached to objects that serve us well. I felt that way about our 92 Corolla.

3/05/2008 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Sorry you lost your old recorder and hope you get a nice replacement. Glad you had a nice lunch with your friends. The dentist visit didn't sound like fun and hope your wife is OK. Thanks for your comments about the Tourist info. You should be able to get a Virtual cat for your blog. Underneath mine there is a little sign that says Get widget. I clicked on someone else's and it just arrived. So you could try it.
Good luck. Take care, Regards, Merle.

3/05/2008 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Who would have thought it ??
Betty G

3/06/2008 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I get sentimental over things sometimes, too! Hope the new recorder will be as good as the last one. LOL

3/07/2008 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - We still have a 94 Honda that I'm very attached to - and even more special is my 2000 Nissan P/U.

merle - My new recorder - Natasha - are getting along very well. We are already very close. :)

itsboopchile - Sometimes it's hard to tell what to think about some of my writings. :)

ancient one - I'm already sharing secrets with this new one. I'm keeping a close eye on her though, I don't want her to blab if her buttons are pushed. :) ec

3/07/2008 11:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home