My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, March 16, 2008

spillway

The day in question was a busy day in at least a couple of ways. First, I was in the finishing stages of building a couple of corn toss game boards and needed to put the final coat of paint on these. Second, YD brought her crew over because they were having their carpets cleaned. At first only the two youngest were here, so I took them down to the basement and got them interested in playing with the contents of a large chest of toys and/or the air hockey game whilst I finished the painting.

When the painting was done, I immersed myself in keeping them entertained until naptime. YD picked up the kindergartener from school; they all had some lunch and went down for naps. When they awoke, I took the three of them outside. At first they helped me with the pruning of the fig tree by carrying the cut limbs to the burn pile. This got to be too much because they wanted to sword fight with the trimmings. We graduated then to some swinging and/or trampoline jumping.

When they tired of this we went down to the pond to throw some rocks in the water. To make a game out of this I tossed a stick “ship” in the water and we “bombed” it with rocks. The rocks came from a small pile of leftover gravel from some past venture. GM3 really got into the spirit of the game and said that we could be the Americans and the stick “enemy” was the Yankees. I was greatly amused.

I introduced them to the rudiments of stone skipping but they were a little young to grasp the concept. We then decided to walk over to the spillway and on the way over we walked right up on a goose sitting on her nest. At her alarm sound, her mate flew quickly in from the upper pond to try to help out in this emergency. I hurried the boys on past, not wanting to disturb the geese too much.

The spillway is a series of split pipes placed on the ground in descending order to get the water from the upper pond to the lower. I was cleaning out some of the leaves and the boys were floating pinecones down the spillway chutes with sticks. During this operation, the little one slipped and sat down in the cold water. It was mostly just his pants that were wet but he was an upset and unhappy gruntmonkey. This necessitated a quick trip back inside to dry him off and get more clothes.

During this time YD went and picked up GM1 from school and she started on her homework. We rustled up some hotdogs for supper and YD and the two older boys went to church. GM1 continued on with her homework and the old guy in the household entertained GM6. When they got in from church, they stayed a while longer then gathered up and headed home. It did get quieter.

I’m glad that the grand ones still find what I show them interesting and entertaining. Children are a blessing from God – to parents and maybe to a greater degree, grandparents. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Bombing ships sounds like great little-boy fun!

3/16/2008 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bless you !!
Betty G

3/17/2008 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Viv said...

Your gran'kids will remember these days and those to come with fond memories. I think you do a great job entertaining them. Just wait until they are older and want to dig the holes, trim the branches and feel grown up!

3/17/2008 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm sure bombing ships was great fun! It's such a delight to see and hear what the little ones can come up with, isn't it?

I hope you're having a great week Ed!

3/18/2008 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,

We had those kind of fun times with our grands! I miss them a lot!

You seem to be doing a fine job and having fun with it too!


Junie

3/18/2008 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - All three enjoyed it greatly - four if you count me. :)

itsboopchile - I'm blessed to have a part in these little guy's lives.

cabinwriter - Good to hear from you again. They seem to be ready to go anytime I want to take them outside. I wonder if they have as much fun as I do?

brenda - I enjoy so much seeing them have fun. The week thus far has been fun but very busy.

junierose - I'm having fun with them while I can and storing memories in written form. ec

3/18/2008 11:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home