My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, April 17, 2008

cruise 5

Still on Tuesday, April 8th, we readied ourselves and went up for the evening meal, this was always a high point of the day for me in that we met back up with our friends and found how their day went. Good friends are a great treasure and we enjoyed these convivial friends every evening. After the meal we went to the evening show in the large auditorium called the Amber Palace.

The show was called Justin Illusion, it was a magic show in which he and his assistants would be put in boxes and seem to disappear and then reappear in other places. Between tricks they had acrobatic dancers that were good at what they did as well. The illusions were well done, impressive and entertaining – we enjoyed the show and then went back to the cabin to crash for the night.

Wednesday and Thursday were to be days at sea and I greeted April 9th by going to b’fast solo, the Spice wasn’t feeling very lively and slept in. April 9th was my Mom’s birthday – she passed in 1997. I went to the buffet, gathered some vittles and found a seat by a window to eat and enjoy the scenery. An unknown type of white bird flew beside the ship – not a gull because it was constantly flapping its wings. Later five of the same variety swooped down close to the surface and then on out of sight.

I witnessed 4 or 5 instances in which flying fish would leap out of the water, soar for a ways and dive back into the sea. I have read that they do this to escape predators but I believe that they would also do it because it was fun and just because they had that ability – at least if I could I would. Amazing!

Then it was topside for me to look around and all there was to see off the liner was only water all the way around. I did see a lonely sailboat quite a ways off – it looked very small but anything would look that way along side this huge liner. Hopefully they knew where they were and what they were doing. Back in the cabin, the Spice arose and we went back up to get her a bite to eat.

She got something for breakfast and by the time we got her food; I was ready for lunch since it was about 1pm. We found seats next to the window again and shortly a family came to the booth next to us and at our invite they took one of our seats to accommodate all their crew. They were from Kentucky and we chatted with them quite a while. Then one from our group came by about time for dessert so we got some sweets and sat with them to laugh and chat quite a while longer.

We then noticed that they were cleaning the dining area so we departed to wander around a bit. We shortly parted company with them and went back to the cabin. We were to have another port of call but due to the hurricane last year it was too torn up still and this gave us an extra day at sea. The place we would have gone was Costa Maya – I don’t remember even knowing it existed.

The evening meal was good, the company and conversation was better and afterwards we skipped the show and wandered some more before crashing for the night. Amazing or even astounding would not be adequate words to describe the creations of God that we had encountered thus far on our trip, nonetheless the scenery was all that and a bag of chips. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ That cruise was sure interesting and enjoyable for you and your wife. Makes good reading also.
I have left an award for you at my place. Take care, Best wishes, Merle.

4/18/2008 08:04:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

One of the selling points when my son is talking about a cruise is "You can eat all day long.." and no my son isn't overweight..ha ha But he does enjoy eating and fellowship... Sounds like you do too!!

4/18/2008 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - I had not covered this much territory since I was in the army long ago. This trip was much more relaxed than the army one. :)

ancient one - That is a good selling point and I do enjoy eating, but only certain foods. I was a bit surprised to learn on our return that I had not gained any weight. I like food but do limit my portions. :) ec

4/19/2008 12:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home