My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

various - 1

It had been a while since I had been out and about in the morning school traffic, so the days of this writing have really been an eye opener and a refresher course on survival of the fittest. This came about because I have been Megan’s transportation to and from school for this length of time. Several revelations, first, I didn’t realize there were so many mini-vans and SUVs out there, next, I didn’t know they drove so fast and then, it didn’t dawn on me that most of them were very uptight and cranky.

Most of the morning and afternoon trip is in the limits of the city of N. Augusta, S. C. and the local constabulary takes a very dim view of exceeding the posted speed limit. The reason I happen to know this is not because of personal experience, but thirty plus years of observation – since this was the area I worked in during that period of time before my retirement.

With this accumulated knowledge I am very careful to respect these limits, but everyone is not that way. About two blocks from the school, I looked back in my rearview mirror and there was a line of these aforementioned vehicles trailing me in close formation. We all passed one of N. Augusta’s finest by the side of the road with one of these non-careful ones - and the caught one was going to contribute to the finances of the city. I wonder if anyone behind me appreciated being saved from a ticket?

All along the route to school are various signs of spring. The flowering pear trees have bloomed, and while some are still in full bloom, others have the green of new leaves showing through – a few have dropped all flowers already. The squirrels must all be aware of the season as well, because they are seen all along the road – some of them are actually still alive – a minor miracle, considering their method of crossing roads. The process of their demise seems to be some sort of “meals ‘from’ wheels” program for the crows and/or buzzards.

Why does a squirrel cross the road? It can’t totally be to get to the other side, because a high percentage of them don’t make it. Plus when they are hit it’s usually when they are near the center of the road darting back and forth. It’s possible that it’s some sort of initiation into adult squirrel-dom – or maybe just a weird suicide cult – a kind of fuzzy-tailed kamikaze. Reminds me of some of the weird sports humans get involved in.

TBC - ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

This was so funny. Now I'm walking away to fix my breakfast, thinking of road-kill. Squirrels there, Magpies out in Montana, Possums here. Oh Dear. Time to look UP.

3/17/2006 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

bonita - Enjoyed your comment. :) I do remember the magpies when I was in Montana, terrorizing the creatures of the badlands. ec

3/17/2006 08:40:00 PM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

kamakazi squirrels... too funny. around here it's the deer and the moose that play 'chicken' with vehicles... and the ravens and owners of auto body shops eat very well.

3/17/2006 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

grannyfiddler - Before retirement I was working alongside the road out of view and a car hit a deer on the road. The two guys in the car got out, glanced around, tossed the deer in the trunk and took off. Guess they figured this road kill was fresh enough. :) ec

3/17/2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I believe the squirrel crosses the road because on one side are (human) nuts and on the other are nut nuts!

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

3/17/2006 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Either way, the autos made quite an impression on the squirrel. :) ec

3/18/2006 09:51:00 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

Isn't it funny how the person who passes you doing 80 is sitting next to you at the next stop light?? Janie Marie

3/20/2006 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

CGS - It seems I am much more patient than I was in younger years - I don't poke but I try not to get in too big of a hurry either. ec

3/20/2006 09:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home