My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, March 18, 2006

various - 2

There is an oak in my daughter’s neighborhood that must be the most cantankerous one around - about a fourth of its leaves didn’t fall, they just turned brown and ugly and stubbornly hung on to the branches. It looked like the tree was budding some new leaves, so I guess they will have to fight to push the old leaves off before they can form. And we thought only people were aggravating.

At the first hint of spring the row of shrubs along my neighbors property line all bloom with small yellow flowers. I don’t know the name of the shrub - I just call it the shrub that has little yellow flowers on it at the first hint of spring. Most of my blueberries are sprouting leaves and forming flowers – it's a little uncertain as to whether all the small ones I planted on the bedroom end of the house last year will live – so far it’s looking good.

About three years ago, I planted a row of blueberries down one side of the driveway – from sprouts of my older bushes. These are still fairly small, but last year I harvested two gallons of berries from those ten plants. Don’t think the ones I planted last year will have very many but that remains to be seen.

The dogwood trees are another herald of spring and their buds are swelling in preparation for their soon coming flowers. Of course, they are not allowed to bloom around here until during the Master’s Tournament – a small, semi-local golf match we have in Augusta every year. The Azaleas are not supposed come into flower until this time as well, but they are very independent and bloom whenever they want.

Speaking of spring and renewal reminds me of an amazing message given to us by our children’s pastor, filling in for our pastor. He was not loud, didn’t run the aisles or swing from the chandeliers – I think he saves that sort of thing for Children’s church – but in a very calm, unassuming manner, stood and slapped me across the brain with the Truth – way more than once. It became necessary to climb a little higher in the tree of scriptural awareness because a few limbs were cut out from under me. It’s the same sort of thing our other pastors do – do you reckon somebody is trying to tell me something? ec

11 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Mr Eddie ~~ While your trees and shrubbery are shooting new green leaves, ours here are starting to turn
that lovely Autumn color and then FALL.
Much sweeping up of leaves ahead.
I have azalias too, also wisteria,
roses and i like some double types
of Geraninium or Pelergonians.
Cheers, Merle.

3/18/2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Some of the azaleas here are in full bloom. The wisteria is absolutely beautiful but if left to its own devices, its vines will eventually choke out a full grown tree. I need to do a blog report on all the plants around the place. ec

3/18/2006 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Spring seems to come on with a rush, everthing urgently putting on it's new growth.
Autumn (Fall) on the other hand is not nearly so urgent, in fact it seems that plants and trees are hanging on for dear life before finally falling.

3/18/2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

peter - That really seems to be the case. Most everything around the place has started to at least bud a bit - except maybe the paw-paw trees, they are a bit late usually. I say trees, yet they haven't reached 3 feet tall yet - still young. My fig trees are even promising some leaves shortly. ec

3/19/2006 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

MrEddie,

Your place sounds lovely! I hope you get a lot of Blueberries of your bushes!

As for Dogwood trees- for some unknown reason my tree didn't have ANY blooms this time although everything else has been just beautiful!

As you might imagine, our spring here is earlier than yours further north! All the oak trees have already got their new , bright green leaves!

Mom loved the new, fresh, green of those trees every year!

June

3/19/2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Is that called 'undercutting', so you can see the light? A good tool for the spirit, as well as the tree.

3/19/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - That is very odd for dogwoods not to bloom. That bright green of early spring leaves is a favorite of mine as well.

bonita - That 'undercutting' did allow a lot of light in. :) ec

3/19/2006 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

The Spring is something I'm looking forward to as well. Today appears to herald its arrival with sunny light, but yesterday we had snow falling all day. Aah, patience. My hope is that as new life emerges around me, the renewal of the Spirit will renew within me as well.
Hope you get lots of blueberries!

3/20/2006 02:42:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

yours truly - Spring with its renewal of flowers and leaves is a real charge to my mind and emotions. It is also such a parallel as to what the Holy Spirit can do within us, to form us more closely into the image of His love. ec

3/20/2006 06:47:00 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

Everything in Kansas seems to be so dead until Easter. Amazing that there is grass on Easter Day and everything is in bloom. Comes back to life, just like Jesus! Blessings, Janie Marie

3/20/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

CGS - Everything is right on the verge of sprouting out all over, even the ones that are slow to put on leaves. ec

3/20/2006 09:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home