My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

yard tour - 1

The purpose of this missive is to give a written tour of my yard and the plants therein contained. Starting on the garage end of the house, I can see the ten blueberry bushes that I planted down the right side of our driveway. These have been planted about three years and though they are still small, last year I picked a little more than two gallons of berries from them. These are covered with blooms to produce this year’s berries.

Down the left side of the driveway are planted four pawpaw trees. These are said to grow to a height of 12 to 20 feet, although these are still about 3 feet or less. They produce an edible fruit said to taste somewhere between an apple and a banana. These were also planted in the dormant season of 2002. They are slow to put on leaves and such is the case this year with just a slight bit of leaf beginnings starting to sprout.

In the front yard, about 25 feet out from the entrance and separated by about 40 feet, two Cornilian cherry trees are planted. These are related to the Dogwood and produce an edible berry. A little further toward the street and wider in separation are planted two Juneberry trees. All these were also planted in the year of my retirement – 2002 – as a yard project to produce an edible landscape.

On the bedroom end of the house, out front, is planted a small seedling pecan tree that began its life on one of the beds in the garden area. It was tilled under at least once before I moved it out in the yard and then it was promptly mowed down by accident. It seems to be determined to live, so I put a marker beside it and it seems to be surviving the turmoil of its young life. Being a seedling, it will probably not produce very big nuts but I just had to give it a chance because of its ‘troubled’ past.

Further back toward the side of the house are planted three hazelnut trees – it is sort of a toss-up as to whether they are trees or large bushes. They do sprout out from the roots a lot and this is the first year that I have pruned off these excess growths. They are still very small and it will take a couple more years to get any height to them or nuts from them.

Right at the side of the bedroom end of the house are four fig trees, transplanted from the other end of the house last year. Three of these are looking very well while the fourth is struggling somewhat. Maybe it doesn’t thrive on neglect like the others do, for that is what they get too much of in my yard, especially of late.

Next to these and further back, 19 blueberry bushes are in residence, these were transplanted sprouts from my large bushes on the other end of the house. Planted in the dormant season of early ’05, all of them lived and did well except one. The dead one was replaced with another sprout just a couple of weeks back. Most of these will have a few berries this year but will increase dramatically in production in the next couple of seasons.

I do so enjoy God’s creation and to be able to take part in being the caretaker of these plants. TBC - ec

17 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Re your comment on granny. Breathe? What's that?

I envy you the blueberries. They're my favorite and are like buying platinum here.

3/23/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

Wow! You have a lot of blueberries, fruit, and nuts. Say you're in S.C.; I'll come over for a bowl of blueberries and cream! LOL You sound like you really enjoy all the plants. God Bless, Janie Marie

3/23/2006 02:17:00 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

re your query, our toilets tend to flush in a clockwise rotation, but as explained on one of the links this is more likely a hydro-dynamic thing controlled by the water pressure and shape of the bowl, far too small an example for the earths gravitational pull to influence reliably.

3/23/2006 02:27:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Man, you gotta get yourself a digital camera -- not that Blogger is coping well with photos this week.

3/23/2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I do so enjoy God’s creation and to be able to take part in being the caretaker of these plants. TBC - ec<<


I certainly agree with you on this. I can't bear to get rid of a growing plant. There's beauty in all of them!

June

3/23/2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I've never heard of a pawpaw...sounds interesting. I would love to see a photo of that - Anvilcloud has a great idea there.

3/23/2006 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Lately it has almost been hard to breathe here - way too much going on. Still have a few packs of frozen berries left from last year, hope they last until the fresh ones come in.

C-G-S - One of my hobbies - I enjoy just going out in the yard and being able to pick and eat something.

peter - I think I had read that somewhere - one of my toilets went in a counter-clockwise manner, the other just went down. :)

AC - The camera is one matter and the learning how to put the photos on the blog is another - old dog, new tricks thing. :) If good intentions would have gotten it done, the photos would be there.

junierose - Someday in the future someone will probably say, now I wonder why they planted this pecan tree here.

bonita - According to the article I read, the fruit doesn't ship well so the trees have to be local for folks to enjoy them.

3/23/2006 01:21:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Mr Eddie ~~ What a productive yard you
have. And what a good idea that is.
I have been happy to have tomatos, beans, capsicums and zucchinis etc
in my vegie garden. No trees.
I don't think either of us are here just to be a warning to others.
Not a good thing to be. Cheers.

3/23/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I sincerely wish that I had the time to create and maintain a yard such as yours. You have reminded me of why I live in a house and not an apartment.

3/23/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

betty white - They are good to me on my cereal in the morning, with ice cream anytime, in cobblers and in a confection we call blueberries in the snow.

merle - I'm such a tease about the warning thing. I still haven't got my garden area ready to plant and that time is coming up in a couple of weeks.

SSN - Sometimes the maintainance thing is rough in the hot summer, but to me it's worth it. The best part is the picking the produce part. :) ec

3/24/2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

ec/ It's just about as easy as hitting that picture icon on your compose screen.

3/24/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Look here

3/24/2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Thanks, I'll have to check it out. ec

3/25/2006 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I just read this "yard tour-1" after read the "2". You have a pawpaw tree!!!
People here in Wisconsin don't know what a pawpaw tree is. We do though don't we? Not much good but I did love the bigness of it. No Wisteria here either and that is my favorite flower.
I have a large room, 1/2 my basement, and Dean put lattice along my long wall. Then I put wisteria along the top and let it hang down and feel right at home!!! This is great for family gatherings.
Enjoy your flowers and all you grow. God has blessed you with the love of Him and of His gifts.
See you, Betty G

3/28/2006 01:16:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

boopchile - But the pawpaws are very small as yet, I think I read that it would take them 7 or 8 years to start fruiting. I have at least 3 years to go. Just down the road is a huge pine tree decorated from bottom to top with wisteria - beautiful in spring. ec

3/28/2006 03:35:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We were snowbirds for about 6 six years. Dean has retired 3 or 4 times and is working now, self-employed. He is almost 82.
Your mention of the wisteria on the pine, from top to bottom, is the way to see it. In Memphis it went over the house, under the house, and came up everywhere, and it was heavenly.
In south Texas, it climbed huge trees, and was everywhere, as was the Dogwood.
Also the pawpaw tree, only one we had in Memphis, was huge, with orchid blossoms that hung in big bunches.
Now, in Wisconsin, we have to be satisfied with the lilac, still a beauty of its own.
See you, Betty G
You can see, I miss the south.

3/28/2006 09:06:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

boopchile - We have had some flowers but I am ready for much more. Still cleaning some brambles out of my garden area - gotta get roots and all or they will be right back. ec

3/28/2006 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home