My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

nibbled

It was just about sundown when I decided to take my rehab walk, a good time of the day when it is still light but the temp has abated enough to make it a little less sweaty. This walk was along the driveway of MIL and has solid greenery on one side and the other side is the pond. The five goslings spoken of in earlier missives were on the pond under the watchful eyes of their parents. They seem to be doing well and are about half the size of the adult geese, so they must be eating very well.

Next morning I decided that I would spiffy up the garden a bit and put some water on it. The water was turned on in one small corner before breakfast and during the prep for this meal, I looked out and noticed some wildlife enjoying the sprinkler very much. I had to smile at the two brown thrushes getting their morning shower. It reminded me of a couple of small children playing in the sprinkling water, they would stop and fluff out their feathers and such – looked like they were having fun.

After breakfast, I went out and found some wildlife evidence that was not smile inducing at all. The deer tracks were back along with more nibbled leaves. There were already skips in the cucumber row, so after I cleaned out the young weeds, I replanted these non-sprouting areas. In the next day or so I plan to put some fence wire over the cukes along with some concrete blocks to hold it down. Haven’t decided on a plan B yet if that doesn’t work.

Also did the semi-final thinning of the okra plants, the next thinning will leave one plant per ‘hill’ to produce the veggies – hopefully the strongest one? Also got out the small weeds and such and then turned the sprinkler on that area. It almost seems that we are not going to get any more natural rain, at least not in the foreseeable future, so I have to do this to insure the survival of the plants.

To make an understatement, the day was very warm, so shortly after 1pm I decided to come in the house before the monkey jumped on my back. Had a bite to eat and then just relaxed and watched another of the Star Wars movies. I have all six of these on DVD and over the babysitting weekend, GM1 and I had started a Star Wars movie marathon but only got through the first two prequels because of the constraints of time. I had watched #3 the next day, #4 the day after that and #5 today. This was not my favorite one so I fast-forwarded through a lot to make it a much shorter film.

After this I finished loading the trash in the truck along with some cardboard and some old carpet and went to the dump. Certain things have to be placed in certain bins and the cardboard and trash-dumping areas were quick, but I had to wait a bit to dump the carpet. Then on to the ATM – and yes, I did remember my ID number today. From there it was on to one of my favorite places to spend money – the Bi-Lo grocery store. After I paid, I felt somehow that I should be getting more for the dollars spent – oh well, this is better than wasting it on ‘riotous living’ – whatever that is.

Coming home, I did something that is rapidly becoming a habit – I took a nap in the recliner. God invented naps, plus He gave someone brains enough to invent the recliner, I just put the two together and came up with a very good thing. God is good, all the time. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

At our house, our only recliner belongs to Dean. He looked around a long time before he bought it. He loves it. You can find him in it most of the time.
For me, he selected a glider-rocker with a foot stool. It is also a recliner of a sort. It is for me because the back is pretty straight and my back is better that way.
So, to each his own.

Betty G

6/01/2007 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6/01/2007 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Remember the Law of Moses: “Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.”

I am not sure that deer meet the definition of “needy,” but they may.

6/01/2007 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - It is the reverse with us, I have the glider rocker and she the recliner. But I have been having to use the recliner for several months now because of my problems.

SSN - Someone even suggested to put corn out in another location to keep them away from the garden but I'm not sure I feel that charitible towards nibblers of my veggies. ec

6/02/2007 08:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home