My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Greensboro - 1

The following events came from the annals of personal history as they are transferred from the ‘pages’ of my recorder to the pages of my computer and then beyond – sort of like ‘to infinity and beyond’ but different. They happened about a week ago but still feel real today.

Another morning came in which I didn’t want to get up early, yet I did so because I had made a commitment to BIL to help him with the communications system at his company’s new Greensboro, GA store. This is the same location we had been to several weeks back and was unable to complete because other work needed to be done by another communications company first.

Was up at 6am, started my day the usual way and was waiting with tool satchel in hand when BIL came in the neighborhood of 7:30. The trip was west on I-20, took a bit over an hour and we arrived without incident – other than the admiration of God’s handiwork in the greenery along the way. At least this time we knew what we needed and brought these things with us.

We started to work right away, knowing that the work would require a portion of the morrow and maybe even the next day. We had a short lunch and continued on into the afternoon. It was not until the Spice called with a reminder that I remembered the meeting I had that evening. We wrapped things up for the day and headed back home, knowing we had a full day the next day as well.

It was not my intention to rush BIL back because we still had enough time but he seemed to take it that way and we headed back in a hurry. He played traffic leapfrog with a fast group on the road and we were home in record time – albeit this oldster was a little tense from the speed. My usual contribution to the monthly eating meeting of old friends is to take a dessert and my intention was a banana pudding but alas, there was no time for that. I called the Spice on the way back and she graciously made a batch of Texas brownies for me to take along.

After cleaning up and changing clothes I still had a few spare minutes – I cut up the brownies, put them in Tupperware and shortly headed out the door. This was the night for our fish fry and the others were already there when I arrived. Our host for the evening had added a “Florida room” on to the back of his house and it was awesome. This guy can do almost anything with wood.

The menu was simple – fried fish (caught by a couple of the guys), hush puppies, baked beans, slaw and dessert. All pretty much standard stuff except for the beans – this guy puts peppers, onions and other ingredients that make these the best I have had anywhere – even took some of the leftovers home with me – got to get that recipe.

We sat around and talked and laughed for a while – they then cranked up the outside fish cooker – with a temp gauge, no less – and started frying up the fish. We started our informal scarfing down of the fish as soon as they were cool enough, along with the other meal ingredients. When we were somewhat beyond sated, we once again went back to the laughing and talking.

This is a good group of guys, even if a bit uncouth on occasion, and I always enjoy these monthly gatherings. I had arrived there about 7pm and when I glanced at my watch, it was almost 10 and I knew I had to work the next day. I finally said my goodbyes and headed for the house. Good friends are a wealth and I thank God for them. TBC ec


Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ ou lead a busy life with working and minding the grands
You will need another holiday if this keeps up. Glad you had a good meeting
at your church. Thanks for your
comments and at present, all is well
in my world. Take care, Regards, Merle.

5/23/2007 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Lately it has been busy but I do have my down times just to relax - sometimes more than others. ec

5/23/2007 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Catching up once again.

If you get that bean recipe, I'd love to see it. I'm always looking for something different to do with beans.

5/26/2007 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - The leftover beans I brought home were still good several days later. When I get the recipe I will pass it along. ec

5/28/2007 11:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home