My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, May 21, 2007

GM sitting - 2

Getting back to the sitting adventure. The boys all got a round of sippy cup drinks and played very happily. The two older boys seem to play well together and the younger just does his own thing. They were still in their ‘pirates’ pretense phase and the older ones went upstairs for a while and the smallest grunt stayed down with me.

This little one is still learning the language and does quite well in his own way. The way he asks questions is very entertaining to me – he simply states the object or person he wants, adds ‘at’ and a question mark on the end, as well as hand gestures. He usually asks several times to be sure that you really don’t know. He shortly walked to the coat closet, opened it and said ‘coat’ – without the question mark. I went to the closet, got the coat, put it on him and that made him happy for a few moments.

Next he wanted to go outside but that wasn’t a happening thing since he was still in pajamas. When I told him no, he said ‘why?’ – which is one of his favorite words. When I repeated this word behind him in an elongated manner, he repeated it that same way and every time I would say it, he would repeat it this way. He now says this long version of the word on cue, much to the amusement of his ‘Pop-pop’.

A video was started earlier at GM4’s request and it is the kind that will start again after it is over and I’m not sure how many times it has played through, but it sure is beginning to look and sound familiar. The boys would just be playing away and suddenly stop to watch one of their favorite parts and then go right back to their play. The older boys, back downstairs, put all the beanbags together and this was their ship with all their toys aboard, along with a couple of stuffed toy dogs. They were evidently concerned about these ‘animals’ and were giving them something to drink out of their sippy cups.

The two older boys have a couple of amusing things they do with language as well. GM4, when faced with something that needs a response, will just say “heh, heh’ – it amuses his Dad and Pop-pop very much. GM3 will respond on occasion with a silent laugh routine, body shaking and his hand over a silent mouth for effect. He possibly got this from his Sis, who probably did it to irritate her Mom. I’m sure you find it hard to believe that kids would do something just to irritate parents.

The little one started to get improbable, the stage just before impossible, before his parents got home, so I put him down for a nap. They got home, I passed along the happenings of the morning and departed for my home turf – or maybe that should be home ‘weeds’ since there are more of them than turf. Back home, I crashed in the recliner for a while, trying to catch up on the Zs I missed earlier. This piece of furniture has become a good friend, especially when I’m not feeling up to par.

It is so awesome to have input into these young lives that could some day have an effect for good on our world. I’m grateful for the chance to do so and grateful to God for bringing them into the family – these and the ones in Texas. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think these grandchildren are very fortunate, too, to have you for a grandfather!!!

Betty G

5/22/2007 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Being a grandparent is a very important role—and you’re handling it so well!

5/22/2007 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - I feel fortunate that they are my 'grand' ones and it seems that they know.

SSN - Thanks, some days are better than others. :) ec

5/22/2007 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home