My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, May 03, 2007

mo snippets

This snippet of time and experience happened just after the recent ATM debacle. After leaving Lowe’s with my wondrous purchases, I went to another place of business that sold bales of pine straw to pick up some to go around my blueberry bushes. They just happened to be out of the straw so I came on home. Upon emptying my pockets, I couldn’t find my receipt for the cash at the credit union.

This wouldn’t have been so bad except for the fact that it had my account number on it. I knew I had stuffed this in my front pocket and that was where my truck keys were. Remembering that I had felt it there at my last stop, I saddled up and rode back to the pine straw place. I parked in about the same spot as before and started looking around. My search on the ground and shrubbery caught the attention of one of the workers of the place and he started over toward me.

Just before he got to my location, I espied my scrap of paper on the ground. I retrieved the receipt and he asked could he help me about the same time. I gave him the very short version of what happened – leaving out the bad memory part – and departed the premises a happy man, since our account information wouldn’t be out there for just anyone to pick up – and maybe use.

The next snippet in time involved the Spice and I going to sit with our local gruntmonkeys while their parents went to a school function with GM1. GMs 3 and 6 had finished supper but GM4 was still dawdling at the table with a half-eaten plate of food – after much ‘encouragement’, he finally, FINALLY got through and we joined his brothers in the den at play.

As per usual, I am their large play toy and wound up on the floor with them, with one or more piled on me most of the time – but that was the idea after all. As the sun was starting to get low, the two older boys decided they were tired of the inside and got their shoes on to go outside. They had to have an adult out with them and since I was the closest thing to that – that could be convinced to go out – I drug my tired, lazy carcass out into the yard.

Our first adventure was to search for caterpillars but the news must have reached the worms first because they were nowhere to be found. The search was modified to include crickets but they must have gotten the word as well – their yard had recently had dirt added and been leveled, so the insect hiding places were scarce and we found none. Then they came up with a plastic bat and ball and it was time to play ‘baseball’. This mostly involved GM3 because GM4 was more interested in riding in one of their plastic push vehicles – where would kids be without plastic?

Sometime during all this, their parents and older sibling returned home. SSIL came out and between tosses of the ball he and I discussed how to get a more permanent source of electricity out to their above ground pool. During that time GM6, already in his PJs and barefooted, escaped from the house and joined his brothers for play. He was shortly captured and all were herded inside for the night. After a little while, the Spice and I headed in the direction of home.

Since this route took us reasonably close to Chic-Fil-A, the natural thing to do was to stop by for a milkshake each. This done, we then continued our journey home. The problem with my shake was the same as in the past, as much as I tried to lightly sip, it still didn’t make the complete six-mile trip back to the house. God is good in many ways, inspiring someone to invent the vanilla milkshake is just one of them. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad you found that receipt, especially after the Pin number thing. The grandkids have
fun with Grandpa by the sound of it.
And yay for the milkshakes. Thanks
for your comments. Those 8 gifts were
good. If only we all followed them!!
Take care, Regards, Merle.

5/04/2007 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Glad you found the receipt--that would have worried me. I would dream up worse scenarios than would actually happen!

Milkshakes, Mmmm.

5/04/2007 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I love reading about your adventures with the GMs
I guess I'm a little jealous, since mine are all grownup now! :(

Well, now, and I especially like that last part of your adventure-that stop for a vanilla milk shake!

Junie

5/04/2007 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - It's hard to say who has the most fun when we are together, the Grandpa or the gruntmonkeys. The milkshake place is like a magnet and drew us right over there. :)

Kila - When I left that place of business, it had popped out unnoticed when I pulled the keys out - I was a happy camper when I got that scrap of paper back.

Junierose - I'm enjoying the GMs while I can because it won't be the same when they are grown. The milkshake is a regular thing when we pass that way - good thing that is not every day, I'd be big as the side of the house. :) ec

5/04/2007 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Sounds like a delightful day!! Amen to all of it, including the vanilla milkshake!

5/07/2007 07:07:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - It was a very good day - especially the vanilla milkshake. ec

5/10/2007 11:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home