My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

beans

Bottom line for my day was that it did start and I broke the fast with physical and spiritual food as usual and even drank a cup of hot tea, caffeinated green tea in this instance. The decaf doesn’t bother me much and the decaf green tea even less than that. But this morning I just jumped on the caffeinated and let the chips fall where they may – I’m still a little reluctant to try the regular black tea. The tea this morning was a beautiful thing and I enjoyed it very much.

The tomato plants planted a few days ago are all doing well, as are the Spice’s flowers. I have an appointment later today but I need to get the garden completed, so I am just going to have to do it a little at a time. Today I planted the two small beds at the upper end of the garden – these were tilled together, so it is actually a large small bed, if that makes any sense.

This space was kind of humpy and bumpy so I raked it smooth and it looked so good that the thought ran through my head “now, ain’t that purty?” I usually do speak southern to myself so I don’t confuse me with someone else – even though I already know who I am talking to when I speak to myself. Now if I had just stood back and admired the bed and waited on something to sprout, something would have – weeds or grass – since nature abhors a vacuum. Many pets and small children abhor vacuums as well but that is beside the point.

After the admiring I decided to actually plant something so I would have a general idea what would sprout there. Plus what I planted would stand a chance to be more useful than what would grow on its own. The rows in this big/little bed are about 14 feet long and the end result was two rows of Blue Lake bush beans and two rows of zinnia seed – I like a little color amongst the veggies.

The time was then gone and I had to clean up and go on my doc appointment. It was a short visit and neither of us could remember what it was scheduled for, since it had been rescheduled several times – finally we both concluded that it was an old checkup that had been accomplished on another visit for another purpose. I don’t think I was even charged for it – what a concept!

Some takeout was picked up on the way home and I consumed it while giving some crossword puzzles a hard time. The Spice arrived from her second of two appointments for the day, she also had takeout and we did eat somewhat together and attacked another crossword. After this we went on our daily walk that we hadn’t done in about a week – may have to change its name to a weekly walk. But walk we did and we enjoyed some of it and endured the rest.

Back to the house, the Spice had to depart for a babysitting appointment since SSIL had to go out of town for the week and YD had something to go to at the school. Just a while after that I also departed to go to our men’s fellowship meeting at church. On the way it dawned on me that this was the fifth night in a row that I had made this trip to church plus another trip on Sunday morning. This was definitely one way for me to stay out of trouble. Plus it is good to keep in close contact with my best Friend by going to His house – another way is to talk to Him while I’m at home too. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Mr. Eddie... your talk of the day is another reminder to me that life doesn't have to be rushed and hurried if you just live in every moment.

I especially like your statement that kids and pets don't like a vacuum either. And isn't that the truth?

It's funny when there are lots of church gatherings and meetings and you don't realize until you've been there several days in a row that you've been there several days in a row. Back in my OLD DAYS (as in, before I let God work in me), I would have hated having to go there all the time... whereas now, I share your feelings:

"Plus it is good to keep in close contact with my best Friend by going to His house – another way is to talk to Him while I’m at home too."

4/25/2007 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Viv said...

There's nothing so satisfying than planting in the Spring and watching what grows, especially in unusual soil. This habit renews the spirit of life and a great reminder of how fortunate we are to be able to do as we please...ain't life grand during retirement?

Thanks for your comments on my site.

4/25/2007 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Jayleigh - I know the feeling, I might have been grumping about going so much in the past. These were some great worship and learning times.

Cabinwriter - Spring and planting a garden is a major part of my year, I just enjoy watching things grow and having a part in helping them do so. Retirement is the best job I've ever had. ec

4/25/2007 11:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home