My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

planted

The day began in a somewhat normal fashion in that it got light outside. The fast was broken in the somewhat usual and normal ways. Then in a not usual or normal way the Spice and I actually left the house together – in the morning part of the day. Her appointment was one for her hair and mine was to wait for her. To aid and abet the wait, I took some materials to study until she came back to me.

We left that location ahead of schedule, ran an errand and then dropped into Lowe’s just for a look-see – and a restroom stop. From there we went to meet another couple for lunch – we ate and chatted about youth ministry opportunities in the church and a role for the Spice and I in those. We then returned home – I had an appointment with the garden to finish up the planting and she had an appointment at MCG dentistry to adjust her partial for use until the new work could be completed.

She departed for this and I went to my self-appointed task of planting. Two of the longer beds were planted today – these are about 36 feet long with two rows on each. One of these will be summer crook-necked squash and the other will grow okra. This leaves one bed left to plant. A little later BIL and his prayer partner came by and had a good season of prayer for and with me – it was a good time of spiritual communing and worship.

Since SSIL was out of town on business, YD and her crowd wanted the Spice to spend the night with them. She decided to go because I was to be up and out early anyway to help BIL on a project for his job. After she left, I did a little writing and went to bed earlier than usual to enable me to get up earlier – what a concept. We were to go up to Greensboro and I was to help him with telephone related wiring for a business that his employer had bought.

Rising about 6:15am next morning, I broke the fast, got my act together, clowns lined up and my ducks in a row and BIL came for me about 7:30 and we headed west on I-20. From my residence to the business in Greensboro is a little over an hour and neither of us had been to this location. We found it and after assessing the situation – (A) we didn’t have all we needed to do the job, (B) the phone system would require some switching by the phone company that had not been done and (C) it is going to take much longer to complete the task than either of us thought, especially me.

This was not a happy revelation because (A) I am retired, (B) I’m not crazy about being un-retired and (C) I have a BIL that seems determined to drag me back into the workforce. He seems concerned that I might lose all the knowledge that I gained over the years in telephone work. We did what we could with what we had to do with, BIL with the computers and me with telephone wiring. Early afternoon we decided to come back another day after better prep was done and supplies obtained.

Getting back early enough, I finished planting the last garden bed in two rows of cucumbers. Then a row of marigolds was added beside the tomatoes. This leaves only three spaces for additional tomato plants vacant in the whole garden. Now it only remains to wait in expectation to see these tiny wonders of God’s creation sprout and bring forth veggies. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Your last paragraph made me hungry.

Best of luck remaining retired!

4/26/2007 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Congratulations on getting all the plants in - quite a
big task and now to wait for the results!! You have had a busy time with being un-retired at times and
baby sitting etc. Don't overdo.
I hope you really are feeling good again, you have had a long time to recover from te surgery etc.
I am resigned to having surgery on my ees but it won't be for awhile.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

4/27/2007 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Those veggies will taste so good in a few weeks! I always anxiously await the first ripe tomatoes.

4/27/2007 07:32:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As you know, I'm into roses rather than veggies. I need to plant a few bushes (someday).

As for the phone: "Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two, opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none." ~ Senator Soaper

4/27/2007 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - Just thinking about the fresh veggies makes me hungry too - now it is just a wait and see time. BIL is making it tough to stay retired.

Merle - It is good to finally get the planting done but there is plenty more outside duties to be done - not to mention the inside ones.

Brenda - So right, there is nothing like a fresh picked tomato. In times past I have taken a very thick slice of tomato, put it between two slices of bread (with mayo) and just had a feast.

SSN - I do like flowers, I just don't grow many. I do have the rugosa rose and I plant zinnias and marigolds every year in the garden just for the color. Plus I plant the small flower garden for the Spice. ec

4/27/2007 11:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home