My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, April 29, 2007

napping

It was Saturday and under the bombardment of the morning sun, the night fled westwardly into the darkness. I awoke and knew that it was nearing time to get up because I could no longer make out the time that is projected on the ceiling by our clock because of the sunlight. I lay there some few minutes and then quietly arose and exited the room leaving the Spice in repose, knowing she had a while longer to sleep. The fast was broken with my normal morning regimen of liquid vitamins, meds, hot cereal, hot tea and scripture.

The Spice arose a while later and started getting ready for her appointment of the day which was to help out with the homeless ministry that our church has every other Saturday. We were about to be overrun with trash so my mission was to gather this up and take it to the landfill a few miles away and complete another errand or two while out. When the Spice departed, I still had a couple of minor/major things to do before I departed. Minor because they didn’t take very long and major because it involved the placing of a new decal on the truck tag and placing the card for proof of insurance in the truck and Honda. The lack of either would have cost me had I been stopped.

The trash was loaded and I departed the premises and traveled to the trash drop off. My ‘flattened’ cardboard was placed in the proper container as was the household trash and I went on to other things. Went to the gas dispensing location and filled up the truck (ouch) and then to the Post Office. Next was the grocery and three items became many more and 26 dollars. Swooping by KFC, I picked up a large container of slaw to go with other planned lunch items and headed home.

I have heard of aficionados of various things and I happen to be one of those about slaw and my favorite slaw in the universe – at the moment – is created by KFC. My meal consisted of a pouch of tuna, a can of field peas flavored with peppers and the slaw. The tuna was good but the mix of peas and slaw was to my taste buds what glass of cool water would be to one parched by thirst. I wound up eating the whole can of peas and more than half of the slaw. With this taste combination jingling my taste buds, it was more like a symphony of flavor with a crescendo of enjoyment.

Another task that needed to be completed today was some repair work on the trampoline. The safety netting that keeps the little ones from bouncing off on the ground had come loose in three places and had started creeping down the support poles. Placing the 8-foot ladder at each pole, all the attachments were remade and also fastened with plastic ties for more stable support. Even though the netting is getting a little old, hopefully it will keep the gruntmonkeys from falling off on their heads.

My next self-appointed task was to come inside and hold the recliner down so that it wouldn’t float off somewhere. I am proficient in several things I do and recliner holding down is one of them, I haven’t lost one of these pieces of furniture yet. God is still good, even when I’m napping. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Glad you didn't get hurt fixing the trampoline--that would have been ironic ;) Stay safe.

5/01/2007 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - Right - instead of jumping to conclusions, I would have been falling to contusions. :) ec

5/01/2007 08:08:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Reading you sometimes is like music!!!

Betty G

5/01/2007 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I like the KFC slaw too. I don't know if you have Long John Silver's but it's good there too.

5/01/2007 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - Thanks much - hopefully I won't hit any sour notes in my writings. :)

Granny - For some reason KFC slaw just suits my taste. We do have Long John Silver's but I don't go there very often as it is not in the normal course of my travels. ec

5/01/2007 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I had to smile at your holding down of the recliner.
Well done. I am good at that too.
It is quite strange, but in Australia, the very nicest cole=slaw
comes from KFC. They must use the same recipe, nice and fine and yummy.
Take care, Cheers, Merle.

5/02/2007 05:19:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - The slaw must be a standard recipe because it most always tastes the same. The day is just not right if I don't hold down the recliner a while. :) ec

5/03/2007 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home