My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, April 27, 2007

results

Now that the garden is planted I have shifted gears a bit and went on a quick inspection of the bushes and trees of the yard to see if any residual damage remained from the freaky freeze of just before Easter. The first stop was the blueberry bed beside the driveway and the bed itself looks good, the foliage of the bushes shows a few affected leaves but healthy otherwise. The berries are all gone, it seems that the freeze got all of them.

There were just a few weeds starting to sprout and one sprig of grass – all were quickly removed and I joyed that I had removed all their grassy and weedy cousins before I enclosed the bed. The first leaves on the small paw paw trees on the other side of the drive were killed by the cold, but now others have replaced them and all are doing well.

The cornelian cherry bushes and June berry trees were all undamaged. The larger of the June berries even has some small unripe fruit – we’ll see how that goes. The next point of interest would be the very small, stubborn, hardheaded pecan tree that started out in the garden and just wouldn’t die. The leaves are finally starting to sprout on this incorrigible little plant form – it may take 10 years but it will be a tree someday.

The small hazelnuts on the bedroom end of the house are OK but the fig trees are killed back to the ground. The good news is that all four of them are sprouting from the roots to become new trees. The blueberries on this end are looking well in the foliage part but all the berries are gone. The pear tree is another total loss for this year as far as the fruit is concerned.

The muscadines are going gangbusters, as are the larger hazelnuts on the kitchen of the house. The main blueberry patch is OK except for the loss of berries – haven’t done a close inspection of all these larger bushes, but if I get any berries, it will be very few. The Rugosa rose is OK and the thorn less blackberries are blooming – this latter will have some berries but not too many since there are only a few canes producing them.

This brings us down to the two largest fig trees. When the frost hit, both of them had leaves that were nearing full size and afterwards they were full of the dried tatters of dead leaves. About a week ago, I was working in the yard and as I went by the larger of the two, I put my hand on a branch and prayed for the tree, that it would sprout back and not have to grow from the ground and later did the same with the other one that is at the other end of the garden.

It was about a week later when I checked them again and the larger one has many tiny green shoots just starting to sprout. There must be a little weakness in my faith though because the other one looks as dead as a doornail – but it is sprouting from the ground again. I’m always amazed at what God will teach me through His creation if I will just listen or pay attention. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Glad that most of your garden is doing well, but bad luck about the blueberries. Rain would be nice to get your recent plantings going well. I am glad your brother is doing well after surgery.
Thanks for your comments and YES, we got 1 1/2 inches of rain last night
with more predicted, which we do need
Take care, Regards, Merle.

4/28/2007 03:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Sounds like you have a delicious variety :) Hopefully no more frost.

4/28/2007 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

I have tried growing blue berries here and all to no avail. I love them too. I hope yours turns out better than ours has.

4/29/2007 01:28:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You keep making me tired with all of your work. The back must be coming along not too badly. I hope so anyway.

4/29/2007 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Mmmm muscadines! I love muscadines!
Hope you've had a restful weekend!

4/29/2007 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Glad you guys got some rain and wish we could get a shower or two. The wet stuff is predicted about 4 days out - that may or may not happen though. The garden would really take off with a good rain on it.

Kila - Now for the waiting and antipicating along with the weeding and watering. We do like our fresh veggies.

Dee - There are several different varieties and some grow better in some parts of the country. Sometimes it is dependant on the soil as well. Thanks for stopping by the "Patch".

AC - I'm making me tired with all of my work also. The back seems to be doing fairly well, some days better than others.

Brenda - I do like the muscadines myself - I have four different varieties and all are yummy. It was a good weekend, not necessarily restful, but good. ec

4/29/2007 11:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home