My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, May 10, 2007

TN condo - 1

The day was Sunday and it began earlier than I really wanted it to, but that is usually the case. Today was a different sort of animal in that we were going off for a few days with OB (older brother) and FSISIL (first sister-in-law). We finally got our act together, along with bags and baggage and headed out the door to pick up the others. They had scheduled a few days in a condo located in Fairfield Glade, Tennessee and had invited us to go along.

Though we had loaded up everything we thought we could possibly need for the trip, just before getting to OB’s, I discovered that I had forgotten my meds – not a good way to start a trip. We picked them up, installed their bags/baggage and had drive back to our house for the meds, since they seem to be somewhat essential. Upon retrieving these, we once again headed out in a northerly direction.

Our route was up US Hwy 25 to almost Edgefield, SC, and then we changed to SC state road 121 and continued on through Trenton, SC, whose sign proclaimed the dates for their peach festival. This event will be sorely hampered this year by a lack of peaches due to the damage of the late freeze. Then on through Johnston, SC where the Spice had hoped to pick up a biscuit at Hardee’s but alas, they had closed down and had been that way for quite a while.

This last town is where we usually get our peaches every year but it would appear that we had best call ahead this year to see (1) if they have any and (2) if we can afford them. Then it was on through Saluda, SC, and the Spice was holding out hope that she could at least get a biscuit at that location but they too had closed. Let me say here that she had partaken of her usual instant breakfast by Carnation – she just wanted the biscuit because she wanted the biscuit.

We passed through Newberry, SC on the by-pass and shortly joined I-26, whose traffic was already in progress. We exited this ribbon of transport for a lunch break just north of Hendersonville, NC at the J & S Cafeteria. This eatery is one we have stopped at many times, sometimes on bus trips and other times as individuals. It was Sunday and though we appeared to have gotten there ahead of the regular church crowd, the non-churched or the early churchgoers were there in force.

We didn’t have to wait too long, the food was good and it was a break from the highway. Back on the road, we shortly changed to I-40 for our travels as we passed near Ashville, NC. This route passes through some very scenic mountains, which are even more so in the fall with the foliage colors in evidence. I was still awed by the scenery as much as I could be from the driver’s seat and grateful to have viewed these wonders of God’s creation. TBC ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I had an uncle who lived in Knoxville and worked in Oak Ridge. It's a beautiful part of the country.

I googled and discovered Fairfield Glades bills itself as the golfing capital of TN. Interesting.

Thank you for your kind words yesterday.

5/11/2007 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We often manage to go back to the house for this or that. Drives me nuts.

5/11/2007 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I bet it was a beautiful drive.

5/11/2007 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - It is indeed a beautiful area and I have told the Spice that if I ever move to anywhere else in the country, it would probably be somewhere in Tenn.

AC - I usually try to be fairly magnanimous when others cause the delays, but I was really bummed out that I was the cause of the wasted time.

Kila - We have visited this area many times over the years and I am always awed by the beauty. ec

5/11/2007 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

It's been years and years since I've been through that part of TN but I can still remember the beauty of the area.

5/12/2007 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - It has definitely retained its beauty - an awesome drive. ec

5/13/2007 09:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home