My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, May 04, 2007

slow

It was a slow day, I got up slow, moved around slow, completed my morning regimens in a slow manner and as best as I remember, I was even thinking slowly. The first thing I actually did that wasn’t slow and was of any consequence was to walk across the street to open BIL’s garage to allow a trucker to deliver a large package. Later in the afternoon, after I gathered enough energy, I went outside to look around and check out the condition of the natural growths and such around the place.

One part of this inspection tour included the somewhat aging dock at the pond. My main concern was whether or not this structure would fall in when I ventured out on it. It didn’t collapse and I was glad of that but it is definitely going to need some attention soon – either repair or removal. Then I went up to another area that I have plans for later in the summer. It is a small piece of land that juts out into the pond a bit and I started cleaning this up for a pond-side campfire and possible wiener roast with the gruntmonkeys – hopefully the Texas crowd can be here too.

As the day started getting a bit long in the tooth and the temp abated somewhat, I put the ladder up on the roof to check out the cause of the leak that happens during a hard rain. The roof patch material came in a cylinder that fit my caulking gun, so I loaded it up and scaled the ladder ready for action. My inspection found a small split in the boot that fit around one of the plumbing vents. This defect was thoroughly smeared and filled with the repair compound – the other vents were OK.

After getting back on the ground and stowing the ladder, I came in to rest my weary self a bit. Just as the sun was setting, the Spice and I went for our “daily” walk that we missed for the last two days – I’ll never get to be a marathoner like this. We then went for a couple of sandwiches from the Subway down the road, brought them home and ate as we watched American Idol. This is one of only two national network shows I watch – the other is Extreme Home Makeover, but I usually get too teary eyed on that one, plus it is on during Sunday PM church. My usual viewing is the History channel, animals, Discovery or on occasion, one of the sports channels.

I find most of the fictional network shows to be skewed away from the best interests of the family and moral values, in some cases, regurgitatingly so. It might sound strange, but I had much rather watch a lion catch and devour it’s prey than to watch the “blood and guts” fictional programs that present – as the truth – the opinions, political views and moral values of the writers and networks. My opinions are much stronger than I have mentioned here but I won’t go deeper and will simply exercise my right to not watch them.

Whether we are moving slow or fast on a given day, we are still much loved by God. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

My goodness. Just the idea of climbing a ladder wears me out.

5/05/2007 03:04:00 AM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

Slow days are a great blessing. So often I feel I don't have the time to take things slowly and only do that on days when I am ill. God bless you all your days.

5/05/2007 08:42:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Granny - I climbed many ladders and poles in my working career with the telephone company (almost 38 years) so it just seems natural to me.

The beloved - I am blessed to be able to take a 'slow' day most any day that I'm not feeling up to par - but even then it is usually just a partial day. ec

5/05/2007 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I hope you are feeling brighter by now. Although there is a lot to be said for the occasional "slow" day. Time to refresh ourselves. I thought you had made a typo saying the aging "dock"
(I thought maybe "duck" till I read on). You must be careful walking on it, specially on a slow day !!
Take greater care, Cheers, Merle.

5/06/2007 02:11:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Big ladder or little ladder? Makes me dizzy to stand on the step ladder. :-)

I've had several slow days lately because I just don't have much energy these days. But slow days are good, right?

5/07/2007 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I agree with you on the TV shows. I almost never watch the major networks and prefer the History Channel or Discovery or Animal Planet for the boys or the Travel Channel or home improvement networks... I very seldom watch TV, though.

5/08/2007 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Mr Eddie. You're so right about TV these days. I hate that there is so much presented as "truth" in fictional shows.

I adore watching American Idol and Extreme Home Makeover, as well as History, Discovery, etc. There's something amazing about seeing the ways which God has blessed His creation with diverse culture, plants and animals, and given us knowledge to build amazing things.

I only wish that all of our world worshipped Him.

5/09/2007 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Viv said...

The advantage of retirement is that on those slow days, we can decide whether or not to get motivated or wait until the morrow! So glad we share the same ideas about television. I get teary watching those young people perform and shed big tears when one is disqualified. And Extreme MO is a tear-jerker also. I just read that more competitive games will be aired. I already enjoy competing against those fifth graders!

5/09/2007 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - Some of my 'slow' days are a decision and some are demanded by my body, I prefer the former. We have been out of town a few days and away from the computer as my next few posts will chronicle.

Brenda - It was the 8 foot stepladder, but I'm OK as long as I don't stand on the top of it - busted my sholder the last time I did that. Yes, slow days are good.

Kila - I most always prefer to view the real stuff on TV as opposed to the fiction - I just don't enjoy having my emotions jerked around by the hype of Hollywood or wherever they make these shows.

Jayleigh - My TV viewing would bore most to tears but I find it fascinating to see how things have been invented and how they operate. It has always amazed me to see how animals survive, it is as though a small chip of information has been placed in their brains containing everything they will ever need to know. God's creation is amazing.

Cabinwriter - I have told several folks that retirement is the best job I have ever had. I certainly stay busy, but with the things I want to do - with the Spice's input of course. :) ec

5/10/2007 11:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home