My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, April 20, 2008

cruise 8

Still on Friday, April 11th, we had dozed a while and got up to pack for our return to reality on the morrow. We had been given luggage tags that were numbered in the order of our departure from the ship. We packed the ones that we wanted them to take off next day and tagged them. We left out our necessities to carry off ourselves. Then we got ready and went for our last evening meal on ship.

The restaurant serving personnel were the same every night and we got to know each other during the week. The service had been good all week albeit a little slow, she seemed to have too much to do. The meal was good as was the conversation and fellowship. The show of the night was a talent show of passengers on the cruise, so I left the Spice to find us a seat and went down to set out our heavy luggage for the ship’s personnel to handle. We were to have the bags out before 11pm.

Then it was back upstairs to check out the talent show. All the talent people were dressed like famous singers and each sang one of the songs for which this person was known. It was a hoot! Some were just hilarious but a couple of them singing country songs were quite good. We enjoyed the show and went back down to crash and found our bags gone as they said they would be.

Next morning, April 12th, we were up fairly early and since the number of our group was 23 out of 40, we knew we would have time to eat b’fast before we were called. We went up and had a leisurely breakfast with the couple we rode down with. We could hear the numbers called in the dining area, so when it started getting close we went back down for last minute stuff and to get our carry off bags.

After a short wait our number was called and we got in line to depart the vessel. I was a little concerned because it had been quite a while since I had been through customs and then only twice and those before 9/11. We were directed which way to go and the documents to have out and we breezed right on through security, customs and immigration without any problems.

Then I was concerned that our transportation back to the hotel might not be there – the non-trusting person that I am at times. They were supposed to be outside holding a sign with our names on it and there he was just like they said. We took our bags to the shuttle van, loaded them and then had to wait on our friends because they were group number 32 in the order of debarking.

They came out, we got their bags loaded and set out back to the hotel where their SUV was parked. Their vehicle was still there so we loaded our bags inside and headed back north. It was a trip of pleasant conversation and laughter and even though it lasted about 6½ hours, it seemed to fly by. We arrived back at the church parking lot, loaded our stuff in our old Honda and headed home.

It was a week of great adventure on a very good cruise ship, a week of good food and great variety, so much so that I was very curious when we got back as to what numbers would show on the bathroom scales. I was pleased that they told me that at the most, I might have gained one pound. I was surprised at this because of the grazing that had taken place all week.

It was also a week of sightseeing that was mind expanding or experience expanding – glad it wasn’t waistline expanding. Most of all it was a great time of the Spice and I getting away from the daily routines at home to just enjoy being together. God is good, all the time and I am glad. ec


Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I have finally caught up on all your cruise posts, all very interesting. Glad you both enjoyed the time together (and the scales didn't break). The child pushing all the elevator buttons would be annoying and holding everyone up, just to amuse herself. Thank you for your kind words about Vicki and I pray the meds will work for her.And I agree with you about "Never be the first to get old" and I look old too, but don't feel it.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

4/21/2008 02:53:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Will you try to post some of your cruise photos for us? I'd love to see them.

4/21/2008 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

Sounds likea wonderful time! Only one pound, wow!

4/22/2008 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - It was a great time for the Spice and I just to be together on a grand adventure.

brenda - I will truly make an effort to do so.

kila - I was surprised by the one pound as well since I enjoy eating - maybe it was because I kept the second helpings to a minimum. ec

4/22/2008 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

So now it's back to the home life, but wonderful memories will stay with you and Spice. Looking forward to the pictures!

*Thanks for visiting Addie's blog!!

4/22/2008 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - I'm kind of curious what the photos are like as well, haven't had time to even download them. ec

4/24/2008 12:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home