My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TX 0908 5

Sunday arrived and as always it was a day of worship despite the fact that the electrical power to OD and FSIL’s church had been knocked out by Ike and had not been restored as yet. They had received word that only one morning service would take place, so we readied ourselves and attended. To our surprise the church was almost totally full and much gratitude was expressed to God for His protection and care during the storm.

It was a time of singing, reading of scripture, prayer and information about opportunities for helping their neighbors with cleanup and the distributing of food and such – the type things churches should be doing. The service was a flashback to my youth when churches did not have air-conditioning and many in the audience had hand fans in an effort to keep themselves cool – back then the fans were advertisements for funeral parlors.

We went back to their home, had lunch and then had family stuff the rest of the day. Whether a family is close or not, it’s possible to improve relationships with time together – if that is what is desired by all parties. The day passed and it soon became time to crash for the night – it somewhat crashed on me that we only had just a short time left to be with them before we went back to our own stomping grounds.

With the passage of what seemed like a few moments it became Monday morning – Sept 22nd – and with a bit of effort, I arose, broke the fast and got the day cranked – at a low speed. OD had to make a trip to the doc with GM5 for a terrible cough he has had for a few days. The doc found no infections and prescribed a cough med to settle down the hacking of the little one.

After they returned, OD and I went to Lowe’s for a part to repair the sink drain and to get the meds for GM5. We were able to get the part but the meds were not on hand at the places we went. When we got back I started on drain repairs and OD called around and finally found an independent drug store that had the meds prescribed for GM5. She retrieved the meds, happy to find another source for med needs.

After repairing the sink drain I replaced a light fixture in the den area. Keep in mind that the projects I do to help out are at my request and are a satisfying part of the trip. The lady folks had already determined that the afternoon was to be a shopping time for all and had further determined that I should accompany them. This was not necessarily the best part of the trip for me but it did enable me to be with the family.

FSIL had to leave on a business trip as we were leaving for our shopping. GM2 is still out of school due to the hurricane and resultant power outages – she is due to start back on the morrow – Tuesday. While they were shopping I mostly held down the benches along the sidewalk, at least until we got to Macy’s. They were in the clothes sections and I wandered off to house wares.

Checking out pots and pans, blenders, mixers, crock pots and such has a limited amount of interest to me and finally a salesclerk directed me to the comfortable seating area in the men’s department that just happened to contain a large TV as well. Another man was already there and we conversed at great length and although we were from different backgrounds, we found much in common concerning families and relationships.

Real wealth is measured in relationships and not material “stuff” – God first, then family and others. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I think it's great that you're able to have this time with your family, and I'm sure OD enjoys it just as much as you do.

The tree in my header photo is a ginko. I sure with it were in my yard!

9/23/2008 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

You're right about people and relationships... We have a stack of those paper fans at our church for such times as the air is not working, etc... In years past we would have tent revival and it would be hot outside... I think the paper fans were bought back then... they still come in handy...

It's nice to have all the little chores finally done...you're a good dad!!

9/23/2008 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

This was a very good post, ec!

I enjoy coming here very much!


Junie

9/24/2008 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I guess you are safelly home by now, but it was good you and the Spice were such a help and comfort to your OD at that awful time and you will know that she is getting on with her life. They should have left you home whie they went shopping. The mouse is going well, John got it at Woolworth's Dept store for $40 Aust. I suppose you know my trick to enlarge text that is too small, click on Control and the Plus sign a couple of times. To go back click ctrl and Minus key. That helps.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

9/25/2008 04:51:00 AM  
Blogger Zarebski said...

I'm glad for the success of your trip.

9/26/2008 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - It was a fun time with them even though the circumstances at first were not the best.
(Note to self: Get a ginko tree for the yard.) :)

ancient one - I so much remember those fans, back in the country and then when we first moved to Augusta. The chores are a part of the enjoyment for me.

junierose - Thanks - someday I need to get another photo on. :)

merle - Yes we are home now and thanks for the tip on the plus and minus key, I didn't know that - there is still a bunch I don't know about this computer.

zarebski - Thanks - and thanks for stopping by, come again real soon. ec

9/29/2008 08:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home