My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, September 05, 2008

mixture

For a couple of days this last week the Spice and I helped a single Mom move. In the process of this move I have shown several misjudgments in the areas of known scientific rules and principles. These had to do with the fact that no two physical objects can be in the same space at the same time.

In the most serious of the mishaps, the two objects in play were the top of the doorway of my van and my head – this happened several times during loading and unloading operations. In other incidences one object remained the same – my head – and the other object changed according to the space that the rest of my body was occupying.

One of these was the top of the closet doorframe while I was helping install a shelf. Another was the top of the window frame while I was installing blinds. Each of these left an “impression” on me and let me know that I could actually grow something on my head, even if it’s nothing but scabs and scars.
>>>>>>>
The water level of the pond is down again to the point that the islands of the stump have once again emerged. We have received a few rains during the summer; enough to help keep my garden going fairly well but not the long soaking precipitation sufficient to maintain proper pond levels.

Speaking of the garden, I picked a bag of the worst looking tomatoes of the season. They still taste good but there is a lot of waste in the trimming of cracks, spots and such. I also picked a half-dozen cucumbers – which is six more than I expected. At my first opportunity the rest of the squash are to be pulled up and I’m letting the rest of the okra go to seed for next year.
>>>>>>>
I had previously juiced the muscadines and stored the juice in the fridge downstairs - today was the day for the making of jelly. Working with only two stove burners, I sterilized the jars and put the juice on to boil – in the process adding sugar and pectin (Sure-Jell). Somehow I had a premonition that I was going to make a mess but just didn’t know how big it would be.

The container of juice and other ingredients was really too full so I was watching it carefully to keep it from boiling over. I turned to the sink for just a moment and this was the moment it picked to boil over – on the stove, in the burner and even some on the floor. I was not a happy camper but I got it all situated, turned the burner down and continued the process – cleaning up what I could at the time.

Anyway, I came out with seven pint jars of jelly and some leftover to put in the fridge for first eating. I got a taste of the jelly when I ate the foam I skimmed off and it tasted pretty good to me. I had made pickles years ago but this was my first successful jelly venture. I smiled when I heard the first couple of them pop to the sealed position – checking later, they had all sealed.

It may have been cheaper to buy jelly but where is the adventure and sense of accomplishment in that? This summer has been quite an adventure but I continue to realize that God alone is good! ec

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, making some jelly! When I was a kid, my mom made raspberry jelly and my dad called the foam "scum". We ALWAYS had scum sandwiches. Quite tasty as I remember!

Sorry to hear you are growing scabs on your head. Still, God is good. It's not lasting damage.

9/05/2008 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You're a real headcase ec. You should be like your jelly and say, "Heaven preserve me." Oh well, I tried.

9/05/2008 09:04:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

A sense of satisfaction comes from preserving produce you've grown yourself, doesn't it? I don't plan to go hungry should a disaster occur around these parts!

Hope your banged up head heals up quick!

9/05/2008 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - Foam sandwiches sound pretty good. :) The scabs were small and mostly healed now.

AC - You could be right about the headcase and I did chuckle at your effort. :)

brenda - I do agree about the sense of satisfaction. My Mom used to do massive canning but I'm strictly small scale. I think the bonking of the head is worse because there is no hair to cushion the blow. :) ec

9/07/2008 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ That was so kind of you and the Spice to help move that
single Mom. Sorry you banged your head and hope it heals well' Glad the jelly turned out so well, bought may be cheaper, but not as tasty as freshly home-made. Good on you.
Thanks for your comments and glad you liked the Camellia. Sorry you got NO rain from the hurricanes and hope you get some soon to fill the pond again and for the garden. Take care, Regards, Merle.

9/08/2008 03:42:00 AM  
Blogger Viv said...

I tried my first time in years to make some fig preserves. Not having but one large container to sterilize the jars and tops, I was busy trying to remember the directions when I realized the figs were nearly out of juice. I got 8 pint jars ready for the winter. Next year I'm buying a set of processing tools! The feeling is great, isn't it, to have done such?

9/08/2008 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Making the jelly was a rewarding experience - and you are right about the tasty part.

cabinwriter - It does make it better to have the proper pots and utensils for the canning process, I need to make a few purchases myself for next year. ec

9/09/2008 12:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home