My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

blessings

The sun had gone down, as it usually does at the end of the day. The light was starting to fade, as it usually does when the sun goes down. The cicadas were singing, as they usually do in the summertime and I usually notice them this time of the evening. I was doing my evening walk as I usually once did but have not done regularly in a couple of months because of a physical problem.

This problem, though relatively minor, evidenced itself in enough pain to discourage walking. I will not discuss the possibility of laziness being mixed into the conundrum to a tiny degree. A solution was found in the form of a small foam pad between two toes – and I am walking again. I have missed these times of reflection and discussing things with my heavenly Father.

This morning and early afternoon were spend picking blueberries – I had thought they were almost gone but I picked three containers full and it appears I have several more to go. Then more time was spent bagging these up for the freezer. The total for the day was 7 quarts of berries – this bringing the total to 61 freezer bags full of deliciousness.

It would appear that the cucumbers of the garden are plotting a takeover of the kitchen and they were doing fairly well at that until YD came back from vacation and I gave her a massive amount of them. Along with the gift was the hint that maybe she could make some pickles. She is considering this seriously and at the very least the evil plot of the cucumbers has been foiled – at least temporarily.

The tomatoes are doing well except several of them came down with some sort of disease. These diseased ones had to be removed from the good soil and discarded on the burn pile. Plus the tomatoes do not look very pretty, thanks to some bug bites and cracks on the stem ends. But as the old folks say, ’they eat mighty good’. At least I am an old folk and I say that.

We have been eating tomato sandwiches for about a month now. A day or so ago I sliced a large tomato into a couple of slices that were about a half-inch thick. The first bread I noticed was some hamburger buns – I took one of these, slathered it down with mayo and placed the slice on the bun. It fit the bun just perfectly and was very delicious. So much produce – so little stomach space.

The squash have been doing well even if I have lost several plants to borers. I have put about a dozen quarts in the freezer. I have also put a few quarts of okra in our cold storage, these plants are just now coming into full production – they are a hot weather veggie.

As you can see, I have been ‘berry’ blessed with things plants produce this year. The blessings have spread into everything that I can think of at the moment – God is good! ec

8 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Truly Blessed!

7/23/2008 11:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, tomato sandwich, that sounds heavenly.

If we all began and ended our day with a long walk, we'd have world peace. ;)

7/24/2008 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I need to grill you about blueberries some day, I think we'd like to plant some.

P.S.

I've awarded you. :-)

7/24/2008 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Sometimes blessings are hard to recognize but if one looks with the right attitude, they are there. :)

momto3cubs - They are yummy indeed - gardens are hard work but worth it for the fresh veggies.

brenda - I have raised blueberries for about 20 years and they are easy to tend - they mostly only need mulch and moisture, hardly anything bothers them disease wise. Plus they send out shoots and these can be planted elsewhere and presto, a new bush. ec

7/24/2008 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

You do keep busy, Mr Eddie, but it's a good busy!!

Yes, well blessed you are!


Junie

7/24/2008 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I am so glad your garden is rewarding you for the hard work you have done. I have never tasted Okra - what is it like? Must try it. You must have a huge freezer to fit all those berries and veggies into. Thanks for your comments, it sounds hot over there, just the opposite here, but that will all change in a few months and they soon pass. Take care, Regards, Merle.

7/25/2008 03:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, God is good. May blessings follow blessings for you and yours.

7/27/2008 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - It sure feels like busy - it is even cutting into my writing time - bummer - but rewarding nonetheless.

merle - The only thing that I can think of that okra tastes like is . . okra. It can be eaten cut up and fried, small pods can be boiled, it is referred to as gumbo in cajun cooking and can be used as an additive in vegetable soups. If boiled it might be an acquired taste as it is a bit slimy, but still good.

SSN - If I was any more blessed, I would have to be two persons to be able to receive them all. That is not because of me, it is just that God is that good. ec

7/27/2008 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home