My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

UPS

On Saturday afternoon the Spice and I attended the wedding of the daughter of some friends at church. It was a beautiful ceremony with one of the highlights being the song sung by the bride’s brother – it sounded absolutely professional. The flower girl supplied comic relief when she entered and spotted her Mema. She exclaimed aloud “There’s Mema” several times until everyone knew who her Mema was – the lady with the very red face.

The reception followed at another location and it was all that a reception should be and after much conversing with friends we finally departed for the home front. Sunday came into being and we attended AM church although neither of us really felt very well. My feelings improved as the afternoon went on – had to do with my surgery site – and the Spice’s went the other way.

By Sunday evening the Spice was a very sick lady and she did all the things that very sick ladies do in the bathroom. She was up and down all night and got very little sleep. It was kind of a helpless feeling for me in that all I could do was supply sympathy and a cold cloth for her forehead. By Monday morn she was feeling a tiny bit better but still had to stay close to the plumbing.

We had bought a TV from Dell on line and it had a defect – they replaced it and we packed up the defective one to be picked up by UPS. Having missed them on Friday I stayed close to the front of the house so as not to miss them again and chose this day to pick the blue berries in the bed down the driveway. My picking container is almost a gallon in size and I filled it four times during the day.

The evening found me bagging up these morsels of delight in quart Ziploc freezer bags. By the time I finally tired of the venture I had brought the total to 38 quarts in the freezer and there are still many more berries to be picked. Even blessings can be a lot of work but I am grateful to the One that made blueberry bushes to produce such delicious bounty. ec

PS – UPS never did show and the Spice is finally over her “ups”.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of blueberry pies! What are your favorite uses for the blueberries?

7/01/2008 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

momto3cubs - With ice cream, on cereal, in cobbler and other dessert items - of course I eat some while I pick, just to see if they are ripe. :) ec

7/01/2008 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I love blueberries. I wish I had a bluebbery bed with gallons of blueberries.
Sorry about UPS. Good luck in sending the TV back.

7/02/2008 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ What a grand lot of blueberries you have this year, making up for last year's no show.
I am glad your wife is better, and
glad the surgery for the skin cancer
went well for you. Take care, and enjoy the rest of the week.
Regards, Merle.

7/02/2008 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger bettygram said...

Hope all get and stay well. It must be nice to have your own blueberry patch. I had blueberries for breakfast but had to get them from the store because I don't know where the patches are in the new place we moved.

7/03/2008 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

dr.john - I do like blueberries as well, so much that I planted my own patch. For dessert tonight we had "blueberries in the snow" - yummy. Hey, thanks for stopping by the "patch".

merle - It seems that my lost crop last year has been made up for, with interest. :) The Spice is about back to normal - and I will be come Monday when I get these stitches out.

bettygram - Those are expensive in the store, just noticed the other day - but they are very good for the body - just wished they would grow hair on my head. :) Glad you stopped by the "patch", come back any time. ec

7/03/2008 02:04:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Glad Spice wasn't sick long... Those days and nights spent in the bathroom are no fun!

Do you wash your berries before you pack them or do it before us use them. Someone told us it was better to freeze them right off the bush and wash before using... In the old days we would wash them and put sugar on them before we froze them.

Just wondered how you did yours?

7/07/2008 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Mine go from the bush to the freezer - someone also told me that it was best not to wash them first. ec

7/09/2008 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home