My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, June 29, 2008

removal

When I opened my eyes to the dawning of this last Wednesday I knew it was going to be a good day because all of them are, some are just better than others. I also knew that it would have its challenges because all of them do, some that we are aware of and some that we are not. The challenge that I was aware of on this day was that I was going to see my dermatologist.

The challenge part was that I already knew this visit was not going to be one of those “howdy, how are you” kind of check-up visits. Due to a previously taken biopsy I had been informed that I had a basal cell skin cancer on my head that had to be removed. This removal would just be the latest in a series of a dozen or more over the past 10 years or so.

I seem to have no trouble growing these maleficent and malapropos clumps of skin cells with proficiency and a certain amount of profusion. And I do think this ironic inasmuch as they seem to be the only thing I can grow on my head except for scars – certainly not hair. Still I would deem the visit good and bad, bad because it was there and good because she found it and can remove it.

My main concern was whether or not she would have to do a skin graft because the only one she had done thus far reminds me somewhat of a patch one would put on the knee of worn out blue jeans. After only a short wait I was called back and set up for the surgery, an event that I neither dreaded nor looked forward to. About an hour later the growth was out and I was stitched and ready to go.

After instructions and an appointment to remove the sutures I headed for home. She had told me to take it easy for the rest of the day and I didn’t have any trouble doing that especially when the deadening agent wore off and the pain started tapping on my consciousness – more like clubbing me on the head. Since I am loath to take pain medication I just bore with it – Spice calls me stubborn.

Thursday found the wound still very sensitive but I did get out and about a little. On Friday I got some veggies and blueberries picked, didn’t feel like doing much else. More berry picking was done on Saturday and by the end of the day my total quart bags of blueberries came to 23 in the freezer. It seems that I will have to pick most every day of the next week or so to gather all of them in.

I consider the berries a blessing from God, especially since I lost my whole harvest last year due to a late freeze. But God is still good, whether I have berries or not. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

No pain meds?! You're a real head case ec. :)

6/30/2008 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Blueberries, I love them.
Coming from Arkansas61 years ago to spend the rest of my life in Wisconsin, blueberries were new to me.
I am looking at keeping them in the freezer for all next winter and this summer.
That means I have to keep adding to my pints.
You are smart to fill your freezer with them !!
Hope all goes well with the facial surgery.
Betty G

6/30/2008 08:45:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - It is true - quite literally in this case. My doc must have twanged a serious nerve during the operation but all that is past now and only the stitches remain.

itsboopchile - I'm not familar with the northern types of blueberry bushes - the ones I have are called 'rabbit eye' blueberries and grow quite well with very little care needed - good thing. :) ec

7/01/2008 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

My husband and two sons have all had basal cells removed from various parts of their bodies. Think they stay out of the sun? Nope... my oldest son seems to be more aware of taking care in the sun... my husband and second son..not so much...My BIL had a 'kinda big one removed on his head the first of the year. My husband was teasing and asked his DIL if she had seen the big knot SIL had put on his head.. she replied yes, but she didn't hit him hard enough..LOL..He doesn't get in the sun as much, but has nothing on his head when he does..that stubborn streak runs all though this family.

7/07/2008 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - The removal of enough of these basal cell cancers will finally get through to them. The Spice bought me a sun blocking hat and some long sleeve shirts that can do the same. If I am out longer than a few minutes, the hat and a shirt go on - finally learned. ec

7/09/2008 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home