My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, June 26, 2008

control

Monday morning arrived and I knew that I had to get the garden back under control, at least as far as the weeds and grass were concerned. With my UV protection shirt and hat guarding my skin I set about sending these maleficent garden invaders into outer deadness. This took some time because it seems that I missed a few bramble roots and their spawn were rearing their ugly heads.

While ripping the unwanted growths from their places of encroachment I noticed that the cucumbers, squash and okra had started producing their table gracing and taste bud awakening delights. These were picked and brought into the house to be prepared for use or the freezer. The plants are struggling because of lack of rain and I have been using the sprinkler to keep them alive.

On the way to and from doc appointments I have noticed that the crepe myrtles are starting to bloom, I noticed the white ones first and now the different colors are starting to show forth. When these plants bloom one knows for sure that summer has arrived – if the temps around here were not enough to bring one to this sweaty conclusion.

At the nearby intersection of Hwy #1 and I-520 the state has planted a fair number of palm trees – or more than likely Sabal Palmettos, the SC state tree, AKA the Cabbage Palmetto. These are normally found along the coast and lowlands and I’m sure they are very confused in that they are not even close to any lowlands or salt water – they are also not growing very well either.

Tuesday morning found me bagging up three more quarts of blueberries – bringing the total now to 18 quarts already in the freezer. It also found me defrosting the freezer, something that I should have done a month or so ago. This involved moving the contents of this appliance to other cold locations, unplugging the freezer and leaving the door open for the ice to melt faster.

Then in the early afternoon the Spice and I went by to pick up GM1 and we all went to the back cracker. After a thoroughly cracking and manipulative visit we left the doc’s premises feeling on the better side. We three then went by Logan’s Roadhouse for a late lunch/early supper. After a very enjoyable meal together we were in route to YD’s place to return GM1 to her home territory.

When in route along a particular section and thinking the speed limit was higher than it was, I was pulled over by an officer of the local constabulary, as was the driver behind me. I felt very fortunate to receive only a warning ticket for my inattentiveness and went on my way determined to pay closer attention. We delivered GM1 back home with this lesson in mind when she starts driving soon.

The frost ice that had not melted before we left home had done so and was puddled on the cement garage floor. After drying all this up and washing off the shelves, I plugged the freezer back in and now it is ready for the produce of the season. God is good for making veggies. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

18 quarts? Colour me jealous.

6/26/2008 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Do you make blueberry muffins too?

Our garden isn't doing very well this year. Re-planting due to farmers and weather, late planting due to James's injury in April. Our bounty won't be nearly what it usually is.

6/28/2008 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I need to defrost my freezer too.. maybe that will be my Monday thing to do!

6/29/2008 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

I had to google "crepe myrtles". They look beautiful/colorful.

I wonder why the state planted the palm trees where they did. Perhaps to convince travelers/tourists that the location is a tropical paradise?

6/29/2008 01:07:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Attempting to control nature—even gardens that we have planted—is hard work. After years of specializing in rose gardens, I came to realize that Mother Nature has trick up her green sleeve, from unexpected freezes to creepy-crawling thingies, created just to make that endeavor much more thorny. (Yes, the pun was intended, as was the incorrect grammar).

6/29/2008 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Come on down, I need some help picking. :)

Brenda - I do not make muffins, I have too much fun eating them in cobblers, in ice cream, on cereal or in a dessert the Spice makes, "blueberries in the snow". My garden is doing fair and I am picking cucumbers, squash, cutting okra and have picked my first few tomatoes - am having a little bug trouble though.

ancient one - I had put it off for so long that there was abundant ice to melt out of it. But now it's clean and already has some of this year's produce therein.

kila - I'm not sure why they planted the palmetto palms other than they are the state tree. Seems we could find a better looking tree for the state. :)

SSN - We have had trouble with thorns and such in the garden since our forebears got booted out of Eden. My main irritation in the garden is thorny brambles - and you are right - it is hard work. ec

6/29/2008 11:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home