My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, June 08, 2008

unabated

The weeds, grass and seedling trees fighting for survival on the slope behind the house descending down to the pond had an easy time last year. Evidently their little plant minds thought that something had happened to their main enemy – me. While recovering from several health problems last year this work just didn’t get done. Parts of the plant misconceptions were corrected a few days ago.

My main weapon in this plant warfare has been called by different names in different locales of the country and probably others in other countries. Around here it is called a weed eater, weed whacker or a string trimmer and I use mine to cut down anything possible. This gasoline driven machine was not cranked at all last year and in fact I wasn’t sure it would after setting up that long.

I got it out, cleaned off the spider webs, gassed it up and gave the cord a mighty yank. On the second pull it fired a few times but with a couple more pulls it reluctantly fired off and in about a minute was running smoothly. I started on the bank below the garden, worked my way through the main blueberry patch, all around the hazelnuts and trimmed around and through the muscadines.

I knew that my cutting string was getting low and about halfway through this job I lost the last piece of string while trying to cut a young tree. This requires a restring of the nylon cord and after a bit of hassle this was done and the labor continued. This job was pushed by the urgency of (a) we were to keep the local gruntmonkeys several days for YD and SIL to take a few days away.

Urgency (b) is that we are expecting some of my family next weekend for our family reunion. And (c) is that we have some of the Spice’s family coming in to stay for the week after that. I do enjoy having folks stay with us for several reasons: (a) we have plenty of room, (b) for the fun, fellowship, laughing, talking and just catching up on what their life has been like and last but not least, (c) it gives me incentive to catch on some cleanup projects that I have been putting off.

Most productive work ceased on Saturday when the four gruntmonkeys arrived – except for keeping them healthy, happy and entertained. They will be with us until Wednesday evening and they really seem to be enjoying themselves so far. The keeping them healthy part was tested today when the Spice had to take GM1 to the clinic – as it turned out she has a case of strep throat.

The Spice had been home about 30 minutes from that ordeal when GM4, while playing, ran by an open door and struck the latch just below his right eye, causing a small but fairly deep cut. The Spice took him to the ER while I once again stayed with the rest of the crew. Instead of a stitch or two the medical staff opted for super glue, probably a good choice for an active 4-year-old.

Besides these small breaks in the action, the playing, swinging, jumping, throwing of rocks in the pond and such has continued unabated – except for naptime and when we finally get them to bed. They have way more energy than I do but we are managing. They are fascinating little beings and such a blessing – most of the time – the other times are not worth mentioning. God is good!! ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Ouch, I hope GM4 heals quickly! (I don't think stitches are used much anymore. They've been replaced with glue or staples.)

Good luck with your projects! The deadline is a nice one to have!

6/10/2008 12:32:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I suppose that I have come to believe that one should allow nature to take its own course and not disturb or destroy plants—except kudzu, of course.

[:-)

6/10/2008 02:03:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I hope the strep is going away and the cut is healing, what a day for you and Spice and the babies.

You're not one of those fellas who make plants cringe with your gardening tools are you? I can hear ours screaming every time James drags out the weed eater, the pruner, or the sprayer.

6/10/2008 09:11:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - The cut is doing well and didn't even bruise much around it. Having a deadline is a main motivating force for me and so far I'm on schedule.

SSN - My inclination in landscaping is toward au natural growth but the Spice doesn't share this leaning. :)

brenda - Both gruntmonkeys are on the mend from their problems. When I got the mower out yesterday I could almost hear the gasps and screams of the weeds and grass - mostly weeds. :) ec

6/10/2008 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home