My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, May 08, 2008

rambling

Daylight arrived and I knew the day was going to be busy, at least the morning, since I was to keep GM4 and GM6 for YD to chaperone a field trip for GM3’s K5 class. I crawled out of bed and endeavored to get some nourishment before the small ones arrived. I especially wanted to read my scripture before then because while I could eat, it would be hard to make any sense out of the Word.

I was able to receive my physical and spiritual intake in time. When they blew in, it was automatically playtime and this old guy was the enabler of such. Right away they wanted to go outside and burn some more fire ants with the propane torch. If your property is not infested with these pesky insects, count yourself very fortunate. These can cause much pain to the young ones if they are bitten.

We stirred up a couple of anthills and discouraged many ants from being alive. We then paused for a while at the swings and trampoline for some recreation. Then it was down to the pond and along the way we brought many more ants to their demise. I don’t know if my killing method is humane or not but does it really matter since they are not human – at least their end comes quickly.

We wandered on across the dam of the pond, continuing to participate in these ant-ridding activities. We paused a moment for them to gaze at the dried remains of the dead snake. This was when we spotted the goose family on the lower pond – the five young ones are growing very rapidly. This would have to be the case because they have just a few months to grow and learn how to fly.

We also espied something that I had not seen before and this was another goose with a young gosling. This appeared to be a single parent with only one offspring – and much smaller than the ones in the other family. Another parent was not apparent although a couple of geese were hanging around near this one. The two later flew away – almost sounds human with the absent father thing.

We stopped by the spillway for the boys to push a few pinecones down this small waterway from the upper to the lower pond. Then it was back to our side of the body of water to throw rocks therein. We were in the full throes of “bombing enemy ships” when we were summonsed back to the house to bid farewell to the Spice. She was off for an appointment and a couple of errands.

After the young ones were picked up, I went outside for some chores for the rest of the afternoon. I’m trying to do the more physically demanding jobs in small increments because my energy is still not back to what it used to be. This mostly involved digging brambles out of the blueberry patch and the trimming of dead branches from the fig trees – I know you are saying, “what fun this guy has”!!

Sometime during the outside adventures I remember smelling the sweet odor of honeysuckle, which is presently in full bloom along the border of our property. God is so good to provide the wonders of nature for us to enjoy – to see AND smell – if we choose to do so. ec

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting !!
Betty G

5/08/2008 08:51:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Please get a small digital camera to carry around in your pocket. Your days sound so glorious!

5/08/2008 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

The honey suckle is growing all up in my azaelas. It used to really do a number on my nose... now I cannot even smell it... I've about lost all sense of smell..

I have allergies and sometimes I cannot smell the perfume, but it will make me sneeze and sniff if I'm around it!!

I know you had fun with your grands... we had two little boys born into our family in the last week. Both my sisters have become grandmothers... one for the first time... All my grandchildren are planning marriages, ecept the two youngest boys.. Will is getting married on the 17 of May. April married the 20 of December, 2007. Holly is getting married Sept.20... and Jess hasn't set her date yet...but will be wanting to get married when Matt finishes his training.. My Matt will be 16 on the 16 of May, and Duncan is 18..

5/08/2008 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger chica40208 said...

i sure would love to smell the honey suckles

5/09/2008 07:03:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'm not sure if honeysuckle would grow here but I sure like the smell.

We do have magnolias here though so maybe honeysuckle would work for us.

I'm with Brenda - would love to see pictures of your gardens.

I just heard about the storms in what sounds like your area. Hope all are okay.

5/09/2008 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a next trek with the youngers, Mr. E. You remind me how much I miss “the sweet odor of honeysuckle.”

5/10/2008 06:21:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

That honeysuckle smells good from way over here!

5/12/2008 12:13:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

That sounds like a perfect day to me!


Junie

5/12/2008 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - It was very interesting to see things all new through their eyes.

brenda - My plans are to post a photo this week - or at least try to.

ancient one - My dilemma is that my sense of smell is too sensitive. It is great with outside things like honeysuckle but most perfumes gives me a headache. Quite a family you have there.

chica - It was great for the few days they were in full bloom. Thanks for stopping by.

granny - I really like the outside smells, even the dirt has a smell that is not unpleasant. We have had another storm come through since then. The first one just gave us some rain and maybe a little hail. The serious stuff of the second one also missed us - did get some rain though.

SSN - The gruntmonkeys really enjoy our treks and I enjoy them enjoying them. :)

kila - It does have a very distinct and pleasant odor.

junierose - It was a very good day. ec

5/13/2008 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home