My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BBH 444

Blueberry Hill report 444 – The main part of our veggie garden consists of 4 beds that are each 4 feet wide and 37 feet long. Two smaller beds were adjoining this at the top of the hill and I decided to till all this up into one plot that is about 8 feet wide and 15 feet long. The main part of the garden had already been planted and reported on in a past writing – the smaller area has now been planted.

The smaller plot usually contains flowers and/or other misc. veggies. This year I decided to only plant tomatoes in it, different varieties in case some of the others didn’t do well. This area now contains three rows, each with 5 tomato plants residing therein. First row has three “Big Beef” plants and two “Celebrity” ones, the next one has five “Celebrity” and the last has five “Rutgers” – all are doing well.

Another item in the BBH news concerns the Paw Paw trees. I had mentioned in another writing that three of the four were in bloom but I had doubts that these would get pollinated and bring forth fruit. A later check tells me that at least two of the trees seem to have small fruit starting to grow. Still, this tree is new to me and I’m not quite sure – will keep you posted.

Going on to other news, while digging up some scrub trees on the rear of the property, I noticed the goose family in action down on the pond. The parent geese seemed to be teaching the young ones how to dive and get food from the pond bottom. This brought a smile to my face and reminded me of a family out for a day of fun and just splashing around in this liquid home of theirs.

On another day, I took the gruntmonkeys to the upper pond to check out the goslings. A group of 8-10 geese were on the near side making all sorts of racket and splashes – probably about gosling raising. Then on the far side, the two web-footed parents were swimming along with the young ones between them and were quietly going about the business of raising their offspring to be self-sufficient.

I saw a parallel in the human arena in that many folks make all sorts of noise and have a lot of theories about how to raise children. Then one can see parents quietly going about the work of striving to make responsible adults out of their young ones. With Mom and Dad bearing up through the young one’s mistakes and dumb stunts – and loving them through it all.

I know that all parents don’t get it right but the awesome young people that I see and associate with at our church really encourage me. God invented the family and it works great – if we go about it the way He intended. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Wow, that's quite a garden! Have fun!

Here in Wisconsin, we need to restrain ourselves, and wait until after Memorial Day to plant, since the temperatures often dip below freezing at night during May.

How fun to watch the babies at the park, of all varieties of species!

5/01/2008 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie ~~ You sure have been busy and you will reap the benefits in the weeks and months ahead. The geese sound like they are doing well with their babies.
Glad you liked the story about Attitude.
It is easy to be positive and it makes life so much happier. I agree it helps our own lives to be positive. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

5/02/2008 05:52:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Yummmm Just the thought of a home grown tomato makes the jucies flow! "mater sandwiches"... I'm making myself hungry!!

5/02/2008 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Your garden sounds wonderful.

Our strawberry is doing so well I purchased 4 more. The tomatoes and peppers are doing nicely. The others I'm not so sure. I think my lonesome okra gave up the ghost. Perhaps I'll try again.

I think the roses are growing as well.

We planted a delphinium (early Mother's day gift from Ray - he knows how I love purple).

5/05/2008 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - I don't blame you for being careful, it's no fun to have to plant again after everything has been killed by a frost.

merle - The garden is doing great but the need to weed it out is an every present thing.

ancient one - The best sandwiches are when you use a thick, center cut slice of a large tomato, a little salt and Duke's mayo on both slices of bread. If that don't bring a smile to one's face (and stomach) their smiler is broke.

granny - Some soils just seem to not like okra, or maybe its the climate but it certainly does well here and I'm looking forward to the fresh veggies. I still need to plant some flowers for the Spice. ec

5/05/2008 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home