My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, April 27, 2008

spring delight

It was Sunday morning and it started in the usual ways and I readied myself to go to church. The Spice was ailing so this was a solo trip. After leaving the house I had to go across the driveway over the pond dam to do an errand for MIL. I noticed a dead snake that was about halfway across and right away I felt inspired to not do any more nighttime walking, in spite of the staff I carry.

Was I the one to cause this no-shouldered critter to assume ambient temperature? I was not – but found out later that BIL had run over this cold-blooded, dust eating, unappreciated and slithering creature the evening before. I neither rejoiced in its demise, nor wept at its death site. Even this creepy reptile has a place in God’s grand plan of continuing creation.

The tires on the van bumped and sang the tunes of uneven pavement that told of many things. The words to the song spoke mostly of I-20 road construction along the section of roadway that I must traverse on the way to church. That song was the only partial detractor along the route because my eyes were treated to the new green leaves the deciduous trees were showing off.

Even the late leaf growers, the Mimosas and a few of the oaks, now have tiny leaves just showing their color. The pines that have been green all winter are showing new growth on the end of their limbs – this just to let the other trees know that they are into the greening of the earth also. One could say that I got to praise God for the blessing of viewing His creation even before church time.

Another blessing for which I’m grateful is the fact that we received rain a couple of days after I finished planting the garden. This moisture came at an ideal time to help the seeds germinate. Now my expectations are even greater to see the tiny sprouts break the surface of the soil but I will have to wait at least a week for the culmination of this delight – I say again, spring is a wonderful thing. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Snake, you say? Haven't seen one yet, but the lizards are hiding under the cushions on the setee on the front porch. They run out each time I move it to sweep. LOL

Hope Spice feels better quickly.

We are just planting a very small garden. Tomatoes, cukes, and squash, and a row of speckled butter beans.

4/28/2008 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - When I moved some concrete blocks around I noticed two lizards hiding inside the stack. Our garden is tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and okra - these are the things we eat the most of. Hope your garden does well. ec

4/28/2008 12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie ~~ The signs of Spring are all around you by the sound of the trees getting new leaves and I am sure your garden will soon shoot through. Not so keen on the snake, so agree you shouldn't walk at night. I hope your wife is well again. Glad you liked the "I'm Kept" item. Tonight we are expecting 0 C and tomorrow night -1 C. That's around 30 and 32 F. It will get worse, later.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

4/28/2008 04:57:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Spring's great. It's even budding and greening up here.

4/28/2008 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - A cool front came through tonight and 42F is expected but it shouldn't harm anything and the temp is going to go right back up tomorrow.

AC - I haven't been that far north but I would enjoy seeing the different types of trees there - especially spring and fall. ec

4/29/2008 11:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home