My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

BBH 430

Blueberry Hill report number 430. First item of interest is that while we were on the cruise, the geese on the ponds behind the house hatched out five goslings. They seem to spend most of their time in and around the upper pond – our neighbor has a feeder set up – but I have seen them in the lower one behind our house and even over around the back of MIL’s house.

Whether they are on land or water, the smaller of the two adult geese leads the parade with the little gangly fluffs in a row and the larger adult bringing up the rear of the procession. I don’t know for sure but this may be the same two that raised five young ones to adulthood here last year. They are good parents and always keep a close eye on the little ones – some humans could learn from them.

Next item was the 2nd concrete block soil retaining wall in the garden. I worked on this several days last week. This is the second and final wall for the year and it was quite a job – I didn’t feel like causing any trouble when I came in at night. When the wall was finished, the cavities in the blocks were filled with sand to make it harder for them to house pests, be they insects or rodents.

During these work sessions I set a low stool in the shade next to the house and occasionally rested from my labors by sitting, leaning back against the bricks and allowing my senses to take in the sights and sounds of Blueberry Hill – our little home place. This two-acre piece of property has our name on the deed but it actually belongs to God, He just allows us to use it and to be amazed at His creation.

As I sat, captivated by the birdsongs, several of the winged ones flew by. Many of these were the small garden varieties but I was treated by the sight of a large woodpecker coming by with its seemingly unorthodox way of flying. It would flap a few times and then fold its wings and plummet ahead, then went through this same process over and over until it was out of sight.

During a walk-around of the property I noticed that the blueberry blooms are mostly all gone and in their place one could detect very small berries starting to grow. These will ripen into a harvest that starts around the first of June and can be picked for about a month. Three of the paw-paw trees have bloomed but I don’t know if they were pollinated or not, I’m still learning about these trees.

All the way around the house the trees and bushes are leafing out fairly well and all but the small fig trees on the bedroom end seem to be doing OK. These figs must have been nipped with a light frost and are struggling somewhat. The pear tree out back has finished blooming and the small fruit is growing – we will have pears! The muscadines have started to put out their delicate new growth.

Wow – this is amazing stuff, find the time to stop, really perceive and allow God to bless you with what He is doing with this fresh new spring! ec

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a place near here where they keep geese in good weather. I always like to see the goslings.

Glad to hear all is well in your neck of the woods!

I sat here at my computer desk as the sun was setting this evening and out the window I heard a rustling in my "garden." It's really just a flower-bed that I planted veggies in last year. It's still too cool to do much outside and I certainly can't plant for another month. But I was listening to the birds sing and I saw a pair of cardinals foraging amongst my corn stalks. It was so cool!

4/22/2008 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - Spring is really my season because of the new growth and such - I just enjoy being amazed by God's creation. ec

4/22/2008 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

We had lots of blooms on our blueberry bushes. Looking forward to the fruit. God is so Good!!

4/22/2008 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Goslings and blueberries. All is well.

4/23/2008 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Some of the berries are nearing full size - will be a while before they are ripe though.

AC - It just doesn't get much better than those two - except for all the other wonders of spring. :) ec

4/24/2008 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ you have been very busy but it all sounds good getting your vegies planted and with the tree blooming and bearing small fruit. It
is a nice time of year and great fun watching and waiting. I smiled at the SMALL blue-berries. Aren't they still small when fully grown?
Take care, Regards, Merle.

4/25/2008 03:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home