My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

eradication

Last week was probably the busiest one I have had all year. This was made so by a combo of sitting with grands, working in the garden and cleaning out in the three blueberry patches on the place. These activities left me a tired old man but maybe that was close to what I was to start with. But during all this busyness I still found time to be amazed at various parts of God’s creation.

If I am caring for the gruntmonkeys at our place, I try to be involved in other outside chore activities as well, when I can work them in. The most successful of these dual efforts thus far has been the torching of ants. The major grunt entertainments include playing inside, swinging, trampoline jumping, throwing rocks in the pond, cleaning straw and pinecones out of the spillway and hiking.

Added to these standards is the burning of “ant underwear” – this term came about because their parents discourage the use of the word butt. I’m not really sure if YD likes the term. Sometimes the first thing the grunts mention to me is ant underwear burning. When we go they each grab a stick that I have cut for them, I get the propane torch and we head out on our ant ridding adventure.

When we find an ant bed we “knock” on it with the sticks and if anything answers we introduce them to “Mr. fire”. This adventure causes them excitement and helps limit the amount of ants on the place as well – a good thing. Another thing that has also become a standard is riding in the little battery-powered truck. This is usually limited to once around the house with each grunt driving – even the little one, in spite of the fact that he has no concept of the proper steering of the vehicle.

Since the veggies have come up and are starting to grow, a whole herd of small weeds and grass have made their bid to also be garden residents. These trespassing plants were totally unacceptable to the keeper of the garden and the condition had to be corrected. Over a period of several days these invaders bit the air – I was aided in this by a wondrous invention, the hoe.

The growth of weeds and grass is a constant problem but it is much easier to deal with them when they are small as opposed to waiting until they are intertwined with the roots of the veggies, plus this would limit veggie production. This reminds me of the spiritual misdeeds in a person’s life. When these spiritual “weeds” occur, it is much easier to go to God and be rid of them when they are small, before the roots of the wrongdoings go deep in the soul and choke out or limit good results.

God has in place a spiritual weed eradication program, found in His Word and can be had by just asking for forgiveness and for the bad to be taken away – awesome! ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The “ant ridding adventure” sounds interesting. I’ve never experienced one.

5/20/2008 06:03:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Our whole, tiny front lawn is pretty well a weed patch. It seems beyond redemption.

5/20/2008 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - The gruntmonkeys really seem to enjoy these forays - I just keep them well back when they come swarming out, a fire ant bite can be very painful.

AC - My front yard is mostly weeds as well but they do keep the dirt from washing out. :) ec

5/23/2008 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Viv said...

I'm not a grandparent--yet--but I hope when that happens, I can review your entries and catch the creativity of play that you have with your grands. You are making some indelible marks on the memories of those kids!

5/25/2008 01:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home