My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, May 12, 2008

striving

Morning arrived and I wandered out to the kitchen to break the fast. As per usual I opened the blinds on the kitchen window that faces the garden to get my first glimpse of the outside world. When what to my wondering eyes should appear but the whole goose family along with the single parent and her gosling. They were stomping around amongst my tiny veggies.

I took a very dim view of that because geese are also grazers and I could just picture them plucking up my newly emerged plants. I opened the window and made weird noises until they smartly goose-stepped out of the good soil and went back to their own stomping grounds.

My time to do anything outside was short but after cranking up my day in the usual ways I put on my bummy clothes and headed outside to sweat to the yanking up of weeds and brambles. After slaving away for a little over an hour, I cleaned up and picked up GM3 from K5 and took him back home. Then my chore was to sit with GM4 and GM6 while YD took GM3 and GM1 for a doc checkup.

After they left it was quiet for a while since the little ones were down for a nap. I had just finished eating a bite of lunch, working a crossword and started to read when GM4 bounced into the room. He seems to be the real live wire in the group – even though one would have to observe carefully to tell this since all three of these boys are rambunctious to a large degree.

His younger brother joined us very soon to see what was going on. Although I would have preferred to just read and let them play together, that was not their expressed desire and I had to actively play with them. We built a Lego house, put a jigsaw puzzle together and several other activities. Their Mom came home and after we chatted a bit I headed on home.

On the way home I thought about the kind of legacy I was leaving for these young ones. I care what they think of me but more importantly, I am striving to leave them a legacy of belief in Jesus Christ and how that should be lived out in everyday life. I want them to know when they are old enough that there is a source of hope that goes beyond any earthly security – the striving continues. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good deeds seem to be in the reading this morning of blogs.
First it was Russ and now you, both so good with the kids, and with such good intentions.
I am blessed.
Betty G

5/13/2008 11:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait until it's warm enough to plant! It's still fairly cold here at night, and I am unwilling that my work should go to waste if I planted and it froze up again!

:-) Have a great week!

5/14/2008 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - I have always loved my daughters but there is just a little something extra with the grands.

jayleigh - I know what you mean and that last frost can be deadly to the little plants - been there, done that. ec

5/15/2008 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Those little ones will remember you and the things you are teaching them... I lived across the road from my grandparents all my growing up years and they are definitely remembered with love!!

5/18/2008 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - I find my self wishing that I had lived close to my grand parents and had gotten to know them better. ec

5/20/2008 12:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home