My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

BBH 451

Blueberry Hill report 451. The garden is going great guns with most all of the tomatoes having fruit of varying sizes. Of the two plants I had to replace, one of them seems OK but the other may not make it. It is a little late and hot to replace it again, there may just have to be a gap in the row. If I didn’t mention it before, the two small beds have been combined and are occupied with more tomatoes.

The first large row down the slope is one of cucumbers and several of them are blooming – the green veggies can’t be far behind. We haven’t had a lot of rain so I have had to put the sprinkler on them a couple of times already but as you may know, this is just not the same as rain. Next down the hill is the main tomato row. Bed three has squash plants and they too are blooming. The last bed has okra plants this year and they are coming along quite well, it just takes them a bit of time to get going.

The early ripening blueberries are coming along very well with the gruntmonkeys happily munching on many of these delights over the last several days. The thorn-less blackberries have also made these young ones very happy as well. I also took note that the figs were putting out fruit on the two larger trees but these will be several weeks in the ripening process.

Much mowing needed to be done but my large mower had been out of service due to what I found out was a battery problem. I took this in, had it checked – it was found to be defective and another one was purchased. I was a bit surprised and disappointed that the warrantee on these batteries is only for three months for full replacement and a year for pro-rated replacement – wimpy batteries.

When the Spice took the gruntmonkeys to VBS for the evening I pumped up a couple of low tires and cranked the newly battery-ed riding mower. Off I went around the yard arrayed in my sun-screened hat and special long sleeve shirt to cut the grass and weeds down to size. All went well until I got down to the problem area growing over the septic drain field line.

This was so thick that I had drive the mower like a tank to get through it and then go back over the area a couple of times. Evidently I destroyed a home in the process because I saw a not-so-happy field rat scamper away. After this I still had a bit of daylight left, so I cranked the weed eater to trim up all the edges that the mower couldn’t get to. I finally ran out of string in the waning light and quit.

I was a bit worn around the edges but very happy to get this large job accomplished to make the place look better for our coming visitors. Though it takes a lot of work to keep the area looking decent, we are so blessed to have this home and spot of ground we call Blueberry Hill. God is good – even when we don’t think so or realize in which ways. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I believe I, too, would be weary after completing what you did, Mr. E—a good feeling tired, of course!

6/10/2008 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It was indeed a good tired - still have more to do but the place is definitely looking better. ec

6/10/2008 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I noticed that you said God is good even if we don't see it. And I agree.
When reading of your garden I see God being good to you. And giving you the ambition and the ability to keep it going so well.
So, we can see it and we can thank Him and know that God is with you as you garden.
Betty G

6/11/2008 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,


Your place sounds very nice- but also, a lot of work keeping it up. That's the way with our place here!


Junie

6/11/2008 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You're a hard-workin' old guy. Goon on ya.

6/11/2008 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Now you've reminded me that the lawn needs a'mowin, again. Guess I should send Zach out to get busy, huh? (I'd do it but I'm prone to running over things).

Hope you're having a spectacular Thursday Mr. Ed!

6/12/2008 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Sounds wonderful :)

We haven't planted a garden yet. I hope we get around to doing so!

6/13/2008 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Sounds like your vegetables are growing well, so you will get rewards for all the work. Glad your daughter and son-in-law are having a few days away,minus the kids. They are lucky to have you and your wife. I can't believe they use super glue instead of stitches.I had
heard of this before and was equally amazed. Thank you for the comments, Take care,
Regards, Merle.

6/13/2008 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

We've had a few squash already, but no cukes. When we don't get rain they taste bitter. Husband has been watering the garden alot.

Our blue berries haven't started turning blue yet, but the bushes are full. Looking forward to some blueberry cobbler!

6/14/2008 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - In the garden or yard is a good place to be close to the Lord.

junierose - It does take a lot of work and I stay behind much more than I am caught up.

AC - It is work for a young man but I bumble through and so much enjoy seeing the garden and other things grow.

brenda - Some parts of my yard get cut so seldom that it is almost work for a tractor and bush-hog.

kila - Hope you have been able to plant one by now - I am so far behind in my writing.

merle - What they call the glue they use instead of stitches is derma-bond but it is still super glue to me. :)

ancient one - I have picked a few squash, some cukes and the okra is ready to start cutting but we have had so much company for the last week and a half that I haven't had time to really to get out there. ec

6/23/2008 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home