My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

treasures

When a man gets up out of a comfortable bed and drinks a cup of beef bouillon soup for breakfast, there’s got to be something wrong with the picture. Tuesday was the day and clear liquids were the diet of the day. The two big-ticket items on my menu were the bouillon and ginger ale. I did try a can of chicken broth and while it was OK, my taste buds seemed to detect the flavor of feathers.

Mucho veggies were picked on Monday so I set about putting some of these in the freezer – to keep my mind occupied. Okra was cut up and brought to a light steam in the oven – then cooled and bagged. Then the squash was cut up, blanched, spread to dry and cool and then they were bagged. There was only one bag of okra but I got 4 quarts out of the squash.

At 4pm it was time to start drinking the “to-go” juice that I mixed up that morning. The regimen was to drink 8 oz of the cleaning out fluid every 15-20 minutes. This was done in the back bedroom that just happens to be very close to a porcelain fixture that we all know and use. Several hours later I was feeling very “washed out”. That room does have a TV, for what that’s worth.

Wednesday began for us at the surreal hour of 5:45am and we got up and headed to the hospital for the colonoscopy. We checked in and went up to the proper department for the “look-see” to be done. I was soon called back to get into the proper attire and to have my vitals checked. An IV with tubing was inserted for the “don’t care” juice to be administered later.

Two of the nurses that took vitals and information and input it into the computer did little to reassure me that all the staff was highly qualified. The thought crossed my mind that these two just started that morning and their first patient didn’t make it. One of them pushed the gurney over to the procedure room and when we started moving I knew we were going to collide with something on the way.

We were almost to the room and I was starting to think I was wrong when we hit the wall – so that’s what those rubber bumpers are for. The doc arrived and these two tried to get the “out like a light” juice to flow a couple of times before it finally went. One moment I was happily chatting with them and the next I was back in the recovery stall with the Spice – having some terrible gas pains.

The report was good, I was glad and we headed back to the home front with only a few scattered memories. There were no diet limitations now and the first thing I checked out was to see if the leftover banana pudding was still good – it was – the whole bowl. I was a man on a mission with a lot of catching up to do. Several leftovers and a fresh salad later, the raging hunger was sated.

Many things in life are not appreciated until they are no longer available to us – this is true for food and also for family relationships. I find it so sad when families feud and don’t realize what they are missing until it’s too late. Relationships are way more important than pride, money or anything money can buy. My relationships with Jesus and with my family are my greatest treasures. ec

11 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

So happy for you that everything turned out alright! God is so Good!!

7/17/2008 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great news Mr. EC! Even greater news that your hunger was sated soon after the event.

Hope you're having a wonderful Thursday!

7/17/2008 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That last paragraph got to me. I thank God all the time for our family and the love for each other.
We are not perfect and do have some who do not join us so I pray for them, too.
So, thank you for your words.
Betty G

7/17/2008 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The glories of aging, eh? Beats not aging though, doesn't it?

7/17/2008 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Count me happy as well because God is good, all the time.

brenda - Didn't wait on warm food, I just ate all the leftovers. :) The Thursday has been good.

itsboopchile - Number one relationship is with Christ - He makes me fit for all others. So glad the words touched you.

AC - Well said indeed! ec

7/17/2008 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Mr. Eddie ~~ So glad your procedure went well apart from hitting the wall on the way to it.
And it was nice they gave you a warm blanket which is so comforting. I hope the official report is all clear.Thank you for your visit to my blog. Take care, Regards, Merle.

7/18/2008 01:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

The "feeling very washed out" part sounds nice ;)

Good for you for having all that done. I hope the news gained is all good!

7/18/2008 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I know what you mean about the family fueding... I have a good friend who doesn't speak to her siblings.. only to discover recently that two of her siblings had passed on and she never knew until we happened on one's obit on the computer .. then she checked out another and found he was dead also...still has two sisters living and will have nothing to do with either one... so sad...

Glad you got a good report on your test!

7/20/2008 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I don't understand family feuds either. I don't ever want to look back with regrets.

Glad the nasty procedure is history and that the results were good.

(Sorry for my long absence - the weather here has been getting to all of us).

7/21/2008 09:21:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - It was odd that somehow I just knew that she was going to hit something before we arrived at the proper room. :)

kila - I was indeed one very "cleaned out" guy. The interm report was good, now just waiting on the official one.

ancient one - I guess all families have one or two of those. I had an uncle that had been dead for three months and I only found that out by accident - another uncle just 'forgot' to tell anyone.

granny - Good to hear from you, I was getting concerned. As for the procedure, I'm glad they only come every 5 years. ec

7/23/2008 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

Glad to read that everything turned out okay, I am facing the same thing Sept. 8th.

9/02/2008 01:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home