My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, July 31, 2008

sawdust

On another day I wandered down to my basement workshop to make some sawdust – that wasn’t the end goal but I did make a lot of that saw by-product. The goal was to build a platform on which to place the clothes dryer in the basement and thus raise it to a more comfortable level. This appliance is a cast-off one as are many pieces of furniture and such in the “lower regions” of our home.

This platform was built entirely out of scrap wood – leftovers from other projects of mine or someone else. One of my oddities is that I have trouble throwing away any wood that might possibly be usable. Only when wood is down to small scraps or is too warped to use does it get cast out and burned in the scrap pile – something left from my upbringing I suppose.

It was built and reinforced enough to possibly hold up a small truck – the norm for my projects. When I was finished I decided to try to raise the dryer up on the 18-inch platform alone just to see if I could do it. The hardest part was to get one corner on top – then I got another and finally the whole thing – fortunately a dryer is not very heavy or I might have strained something.

When I get involved in a project I tend to forget anything else. Along about this time I realized that I had forgotten to have lunch. When I went back upstairs and saw the time, it dawned on me that I had also forgotten to make a banana pudding as well as cut up some tomatoes for a church group cookout and I had started on neither of the jobs and time was running out.

In a short length of time I had constructed a double recipe of banana pudding. Then I sliced up tomatoes from the garden – the final count of slices of this veggie was about 100 – these were to garnish hamburgers. We rushed to get dressed and went out the door only about 10 minutes later than we wanted to be. We were not the last ones to arrive at the appointed site and I was glad.

40 plus were in attendance, we were called to order, grace was said and we started devouring hamburgers, hotdogs, side dishes and desserts. It was a great time of eating, laughing and having the joy of fellowshipping together – the way church folks should do. Next day was Sunday and the service was everything church should be, rejoicing in the love and presence of God.

It is a good thing when a plan comes together, especially when the plan is to worship God in spirit and truth – and that did happen in great abundance. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

That was a good idea to raise the dryer.. I have to bend over and reach in to unload mine...hmm..??

Bet that banana pudding was good...I like it warm soon after it is made.. yumm!

8/01/2008 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Mmmm banana pudding, was it good?

I hope you got plenty of rest after all that work!

8/01/2008 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Congrats on making a stand for the clothes dryer and also for lifting it up on your own. I have been known to forget about lunch, but not too often.Glad you got the Banana Pudding made and the tomatoes sliced just in time and glad you enjoyed the nice meal. Glad you liked my bird hotel. It does seem strange a humming
-bird attracted to zinnias - which are not very sweet smelling etc, but they must have something.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

8/02/2008 08:26:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Sounds like a wonderful time (at church, not the lifting!)!

8/03/2008 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - This dryer is a just-in-case one given to us when YD bought a new one. About the pudding, the Spice will only eat it warm, but I will consume it warm, cold and even leftover several days. :)

brenda - As I have possibly mentioned before, this pudding I make is the old-fashioned kind from "scratch" ingredients and to say it was good is an understatement - it was yummy indeed.

merle - I would have felt better about the project if I had not allowed it make me forget about the other obligation - but it all worked out.

kila - One of my favorite things is having fellowship with my bros and sisters in the Lord - of course the food wasn't bad either. :) ec

8/05/2008 12:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home