My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 14, 2008

stepping

It was a walk after sundown on another day, the only semi-comfortable time to walk during this season. Several senses were active during the exercise time. The scenery was so familiar that the eyes only notified me if something unusual came to their attention. But all was about the same as in other days – the pond water was calm on one side and the trees were green on the other.

The ears mostly held sway and the main sound was the songs of the cicadas. I had to wonder why were they singing – was it to attract a mate, brag about some accomplishment or just for the joy of singing? I don’t know the cicada songs well enough to determine if I was hearing the same cicadas as yesterday but I’m sure the other cicadas knew the singers quite well.

In my imagination I can almost hear a group of lady cicadas commenting to each other about the quality and tonality of the songs. One would say, would you listen to old Fred, he thinks that just because he is loud everyone enjoys his singing. And another would chime in, yes, it just makes me want to fly somewhere far away but it would have to be very far to not hear all that.

Then another song came to their instruments of auditory perception – it was Sam cicada! His song was the most beautiful and romantic they had ever heard and they went all atwitter – or the cicada version of that action. When the ladies came back from their cicada swoon they all agreed that this song just made them glad that they were cicadas – and probably made a few crickets jealous.

A few birds were chirping occasionally, probably getting ready to roost for the night. Then in the background one could hear the traffic noises filtering through the trees. There were other perceptions but they were internal – it was my body talking to me. It was complaining that I was walking too fast, the muscles were aching and wanted to slow down to get more oxygen.

I just ignored their complaints and walked on at my regular pace. Then there were all the thoughts tumbling through the brain, so many that they were stumbling over each other. One had hardly begun when another started and collided with the one ahead and built into a thought pile-up. Then there was the sorting out process and trying to determine which thoughts went with which.

I knew that some of the thoughts were serious but it was hard to tell the serious from the not so serious and those from the silly and then the silly from the absolutely ridiculous. Thoughts were bumping around like sneakers in the dryer. As the walk neared its end, the rejoicing of the body parts drowned all that out – the walk was almost over and they were going to get to rest for a while.

It just feels so good to be able to get out and do some quick stepping – God is good!! ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Your words give me the most wonderful visual, especially of swooning cicadas.

8/15/2008 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ With an imagination like yours, you would never be bored.
I enjoyed the cicada tales. We have
them around here also. Thanks for your comments and the thought that our seasons are nearing a change.
We all seem to be ready for that. Take care, Regards, Merle.

8/16/2008 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your pix of the blueberries is luscious. I had blueberries for breakfast, in a bowl of cereal and milk, good.
The cicadas in Memphis started in with their BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at sundown and my uncles got another nickname for me, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
That one, I never liked, it seems the bugs in the trees were yelling at me!!
Betty G

8/16/2008 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I miss the days before I was tied to this oxygen tank and I could take those kinds of walks.

8/17/2008 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - Sometimes my mind is a little weird. :)

merle - As far back as I can remember cicadas were much a part of summer. The temps are down a few degrees and it looks like we might get some rain from the remnants of "Fay" - hope so.

itsboopchile - Blueberries were a part of my cereal as well, really adds a lot to the taste.

SSN - But you do very well with your blog and I'm glad of that. ec

8/18/2008 09:48:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mr Eddie,


I loved your walk! I always do! :)

And it's so good to see this picture of your family! All your GMs are as cute and special as I imagined them to be! Your whole family is lovely!

UMMM-and those blueberries sure look yummy!


Junie

8/19/2008 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - Yep, those are my favorite folks. :) ec

8/19/2008 01:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home