My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

MS reunion 2008 2

Saturday, August 2nd – Itawamba county, MS. For many years now our reunion has been held in this rural community center, a somewhat plain but functional cement block building that is the venue of many events of the area. It is about 2 miles down the road and when I pulled up to the front door some of the guys already in attendance helped me unload all the goodies we brought.

We added these taste delights to the growing number on the row of serving tables. More and more folks came in and we began to renew our kinship and friendship with hugs, greetings and such. I will confess that I am a hugger and anyone that will allow themselves to be hugged, I will hug them – it just seems the thing to do. I failed to get an accurate count but attendance topped out at 50 plus.

I knew that this reunion would be tinged with a bit of sadness because my uncle that was always in attendance and for years headed up this event, had passed away at the end of March this year. My niece had taken over for the last several years and saw to it that all went well. Soon we were called to order, grace was said and we started the consumption of the feast.

I was so busy talking with all the different ones that it occurred to my Spice that I didn’t have a plate in my hands and since this was very unusual, she reminded me that I might ought to eat. I did soon fill a plate and sat a short while to enjoy the repast. Then I visited the dessert end of the long row of tables and sampled several of the sweets – this as I visited with folks from table to table.

Except for spouses and in-laws, all were descended from one man called “Hairy John” – this name came from the fact that he didn’t cut his hair or beard. He passed away in 1912 and was my great-grandfather. From one or another of his eight children came the whole assembly that met and celebrated being a part of this large family.

About the last thing we do is to take photos of each family group in attendance – this since it would be hard to make photos of the ones not in attendance. This was done and the crowd gradually started to depart to their places of abode. The group was small when we loaded up leftovers and headed back to my sis’s place. Much conversing was still to do so we got at it until bedtime.

Sunday morning came and we had a bite to eat and loaded the van back up for the trip home. Just before we left my nephew came by for a plumbing repair for his Mom – my sis. He had not been in attendance the day before and I was glad to get to see him before we left. We finally got on the road and finished listening to the book on CD that we had started on the trip down.

We had a good trip back, enjoyed the book and even started another one called “The Gift” – we were so involved in it that we had to finish it up when we got home. Our return trip took 3 minutes longer than the trip out – very close. We were tired but as always, glad to be home. God is good! ec

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a safe trip. Sounds like a nice reunion!

8/06/2008 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I am so glad you and so many of your family had a happy and successful reunion. It is always great to catch up with each other's news and great to take lots of photos. The CD books sounded great - I have never listened to one, but I know people who have. It is always nice to get home again. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

8/06/2008 07:02:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Glad the trip went well and you had lots of fun visiting.

Happy Wednesday!

8/06/2008 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:)


We were having our reunion at the same time- but in NORTH Alabama!

LOL-our paths may have crossed somewhere along the way!

These things are always fun!


Junie

8/06/2008 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Most of our family doesn't like to have their pictures taken.. so we don't do group shots... just sneak around getting different ones going on with their going ons.. Not the best way.. but good enough. One year I gave the camera to my young grandson and he got some of the best pictures we ever had. Maybe they thought he had a toy camera?

I'm sure you and Spice enjoyed yourselves!

8/07/2008 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm happy to har you returned safely, with lots of new memories.

8/11/2008 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

momto3cubs - It was a great trip and a very enjoyable reunion.

merle - We have used the CDs on several trips and always makes the driving seem to go smoother and faster.

brenda - These kinds of trips always seem too short when you are trying to spend time with everyone.

junierose - You might say that we went to different reunions together. :)

ancient one - This group didn't like photo taking much either but for the last several years I usually get appointed to get all the groups together and they don't complain much any more. :)

SSN - Many memories indeed!! ec

8/12/2008 12:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home