My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 28, 2008

fading

Wow, what a week! I’ve been as busy as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Several doc appointments were mostly of the check-up type and all came out OK – that was important. Some baby-sitting appointments also came out OK – that’s very important. Chopping weeds and grass out of the garden came out OK – even though they didn’t want to leave their place of encroachment.

Even though the garden is fading fast, a few veggies are still available for picking. The squash are almost totally gone but I did pick a couple of them the other day. To my surprise the cukes are still producing a few of the green veggie tubes. Tomatoes are still coming in but I can tell that they won’t be around very long. Even the okra is starting to slow down – getting late in the season.

The figs tend to have two seasons – the early one is about over and the late one has yet to start. I picked the last of the pickable blueberries a few days ago. Most of these were put in the fridge to eat with my morning cereal. Then to my surprise I noticed that the muscadines were getting ripe. These are mainly of two types – a dark purple and a bronze variety – I picked 12 gallons the next day.

Muscadines are described as wild southern grapes and I have 7 vines that produce all I can use. In fact, I passed a couple of gallons or so along to my neighbor – they are heavy into making jelly and preserves. The rest are to suffer under my jelly making experiments. In the few days that have passed, I have squished, cooked and strained the juice out of all the ones I had.

This juice is now stored in the fridge downstairs, waiting on me to get enough time to finish the project. My quandary at the moment is that I cannot find the pint jars in which to place the jelly. There were plenty of quarts but those are just too large. I will continue hunting but it may be too late in the season and they are all bought up – that happened to me a few years back.

Over the years I have employed various means of entertaining the young ones that I sit with and the latest of these is paper airplanes. This diversion arose recently with the three local gruntmonkeys and they enjoyed it immensely. The first papers of flight were from long ago memories and were just OK. The next ones were from another memory, they were modified a bit and these flew much better.

Then I had the brilliant idea of looking on the web and lo and behold there were many foldable fliers. I tried one and just as advertised, it simply floated across the room. The problem was that it wasn’t tough enough and did not stand up very well to the punishment of active young men. They would have to be steel to withstand the rigors but steel is hard to fold by hand and would be hard to fly.

It really flaked me out when I realized that it had been well over a week since I had written anything – that is just being too busy. But God has been as good as always and for this I am very glad. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I'm watching the days shorten and with that comes my dread of the soon to belong nights and cold weather.

I hope you find those pint jars, the muscadines deserve to be jelly.

8/28/2008 07:41:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I went outside today to see if I could find a ripe grape. My husband has so much lawn mower stuff around the grapevine that I couldn't get to it. I did notice lots of green grapes on the ground. They are just falling off. Wonder if the rain from Fay had anything to do with that? Hmmm?

8/28/2008 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love “busy as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs”!

I wonder if poster board would make a sturdier flyer?

9/01/2008 12:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your update. :)

Paper airplanes are still great fun here, too, but they do not last long.

My boss brought us "extra" produce from his garden, and I thought of you and your gardens. :)

9/02/2008 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - A friend at church helped me out with the jars and the jelly tastes pretty good, if I do say so myself. :)

ancient one - I need to get back down there to see if I have any more muscadines left. A friend of mine gave me a recipe for muscadine cobbler - sounds interesting.

SSN - One of the designs seem to be a little tougher than the others and that is the one I've been using lately - flys well too.

momto3cubs - I have passed on to the family and friends the excess of my garden but it has about "done its do" as the old saying goes. Still have a few figs and muscadines but they too are getting few. ec

9/05/2008 12:12:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Wow! You sure have been busy, but it is great that you have made jelly and shared the vegetables around. Glad also to hear that doctor's reports were all good.
I bet the grands are enjoying the paper planes, as well as yourself.
Thanks for your comments, and it seems our seasons are soon to change
and most of us will be glad.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

9/05/2008 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - I have been very busy - too busy to blog or comment very much but maybe it has settled down for a while. ec

9/07/2008 11:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home