My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, February 12, 2009

in flight

When I began this missive we were mid-flight between Atlanta and Houston on a trip that so far had been a bit of an adventure. Of course, for the seasoned flyers among us it might seem a normal part of the experience. All was as expected when we arrived at the Augusta airport Wednesday A.M. for the beginning leg of our trip to Texas. Because of a computer glitch we were unable to check in on line but that process flowed well on arrival.

We checked in and were on our way to the security check-point when the Spice decided to go back to check on our sky miles. She saw the TSA agent doing a thorough exam of my checked bag. He had arrived at the quart jar of Duke’s mayo – the Spice explained that we usually take OD (older daughter) a jar or two – it’s not available there. The agent said that he had a ‘saying’ – “There’s mayo and then there’s Duke’s” – we agreed.

We went through security without a hitch – we boarded the plane in a hitch-less manner – and had taxied out to take off when the hitches started. The pilot told us via intercom that we were waiting 30 minutes before take off because of heavy traffic in Atlanta – our first destination. This would not be so bad except for the fact that we only had a short layover in Atlanta before our flight for Houston departed – normally a great thing – not today.

We finally got in the air and the tension began – not on the pilot’s part but on mine, because I didn’t want to miss our flight from Atlanta to Houston. We landed, got off the plane and still had to get the Spice’s bag that was checked planeside in Augusta. By the time we got her luggage unit and headed to our departure gate on the other side of that very large airport, we had about 14 minutes until the next flight departed.

Then, it was a fast walk to the escalator on concourse D, to the tram, two concourses over to B, up the escalator and then I went as fast as the legs would go with the Spice coming behind. As I rounded the corner to our gate, the attendant asked in so many words if I was the one they were waiting on, I responded in the affirmative. The Spice caught up, he scanned our tickets and followed us down the ramp to tell them to depart.

The plane was pushed out of its resting place shortly after we were seated; we were grateful to have made it and set about trying to catch our breath. It took a while for the heart rates to return to normal and the rest of the flight was uneventful – thankfully. OD and GM5 met us in the Houston/Hobby airport baggage claim area; we loaded up and headed to their home. I sat in the back with GM5 and we shared conversation and gummy candy.

This trip was rescheduled from January – when the Spice had pneumonia – and the timing is good because our time here spans the birthdays of OD and GM5. We are grateful for the time to spend with our family here and blessed for the safe passage granted by our Lord – God is good! ec


Blogger Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

For me, flying is never "normal." It is always an adventure!

May the blessings you experienced during the trip and with your family continue!

2/12/2009 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Hope y'all have fun...

2/13/2009 08:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

Glad you had a safe trip, and that your Duke's mayo wasn't confiscated!

2/13/2009 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It has been a very relaxing time of family togetherness.

ancient one - We are having a hoot!

Kila - Safe Duke's mayo transportation is important too. :) ec

2/15/2009 11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home