My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, January 05, 2009

crossing

It was Sunday AM and I was on my way to church. The weather was dreary, foggy and cloudy with drizzling rain. This was a solo trip since the Spice has been sick for over a week now. My mind was pondering many things about word definitions and such. The blues was one of the ponderings, as was gloom, discouragement, downheartedness and one that I really didn’t think of right then, melancholia.

Of course there is always the old catchall, depression – a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason – this is straight out of the dictionary. Mind you, I wasn’t feeling according to this or any of these definitions, I was just pondering them and wondering why they rule and ruin the lives of so many people.

While considering these deep thoughts and conditions, I was on I-20 about to cross the bridge entering into Georgia. As the crossing occurred, a small opening in the heavy clouds appeared and the sun lighted my passage all the way across. Then the clouds reasserted their rule of the sky all the rest of the way to church. I considered this short view of sunshine somewhat odd but also very meaningful.

Since the definition of epiphany is: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into reality or the essential meaning of something – often initiated by some simple, commonplace occurrence – I guess that is what I had. Considering the words I was pondering, what I drew from this occurrence was that God is able to bring His light into any depressing situation and dispel the darkness of the gloominess involved.

It naturally follows then, since Jesus is the Light of the world, that by inviting Him into our lives and into every situation, all darkness would have to flee. The relief may not be instant at times but at least we have Someone to be with us to help work out a solution, because no matter the problem, Christ is still the answer. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I am so sorry your wife has been and is still so sick.
I hope she soon regains her health.
Well done on getting your shed well
on it's way to being finished'
I am sure your Christmas was wonderful with your grandchildren.
A very Happy New Year to you and your family. I hope health and happiness feature well in 2009.
Congrats on the play. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

1/06/2009 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We do ask why does God allow us to be sick.
Now, today my voice has disappeared, and maybe I have to admit that is one reason. God is keeping me quiet to please others.
Betty G

1/06/2009 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Thank GOD for those rays of sunshine on dreary days. I hope Spice gets well soon.

1/06/2009 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - The year has been great thus far and the Spice is on the mend - much gratitude for that.

itsboopchile - The Spice couldn't speak above a whisper for a week and it was hard on both of us. :) She is starting to come back now, praise the Lord!

ancient one - She is improving every day, just much too slowly for the both of us. ec

1/12/2009 08:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home