My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, November 18, 2008


The day was Thursday and I rose early to take GM1 to school because her parents and siblings were still out of town. I ate a small bite to carry me until I could get back home and start my day in the right way. The trip was successful and she was deposited at school – back home I began my day in the proper sort of way. Being a rainy day, outside work was nixed so I spruced up some inside.

Going down to the basement rec room, I found it to be a wreck, with toys strewn about in a helter-skelter manner – these were then put back in proper order. The weather later dictated that a nap would be a good thing to do, so I made a successful effort at that as well. Then the Spice and I made efforts at cleaning out a closet and then I retrieved GM1 from her institute of higher learning.

The rain had finally stopped so I went for a walk as it neared sundown, though this time was hard to tell with all the clouds. It struck me that it was eerily quiet while I was out, the only things being heard were the background noises from the nearby highway and my rhythmic footfalls. The geese were ‘out of pond’, the birds were silent and it was too cool for crickets and cicadas.

The trees were in various stages of coloration with a few already having dropped their leaves. We have some very obstinate oaks in the area, hanging on to their leaves to the bitter end and then instead of the leaves coloring properly, they just turn brown and fall off – probably just to be irritating.

In spite of the fact that it rained a good portion of the day, the pond was not showing any signs of turning around in its quest to become ‘the incredible shrinking pond’. It rained more through the night and the next day I saw ‘stump peninsula’ turn back into an island and later disappear altogether.

Friday evening the Spice and I, along with GM1, went out to eat and then went to the youth service of our missionary conference – excellent speaker and very challenging. Saturday came and I did get to watch my college football team fight through to a victory and later we took GM1 to a birthday party at a local restaurant and we just stayed over and ate at another site ourselves.

We hung around to take GM1 back home – by this time her parents and young ones had returned to the area. We did this and later welcomed them back from their week’s vacation. Sunday was a multi-event day – 9AM play practice, AM worship, home to eat, back for 4PM play practice and then for the PM worship service – all were great but tiring – then we went out with friends afterwards for a bite.

How can something be so uplifting and tiring at the same time – could it be my age showing? Nobody has to convince me that Christ now is and forever will be the most important thing in my life – and by the way, God is good, all the time. ec


Blogger ancient one said...

Speaking of shrinking ponds...Our regular route to town was changed due to a bridge replacement. So I hadn't been by a neighbor's pond for a few months. Last Friday, for the first time, I got to go into town by the old route. As I passed my neighbor's home, I noticed his pond was extremely low. As low as I've ever seen it. It was raining on that day. My first thought was he must have drained his pond for some reason. Now, having read your post, I guess I know why his pond was so low.

Boy, the ride into town is so much more enjoyable now that we can travel the more familar, faster route.

Have a good day!

11/19/2008 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You lead a glorious life Mr. Ed!

11/19/2008 08:49:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - So glad they have finished construction for your travel - sometime it seems these projects continue forever. We have several of the projects on our way to church and I will be so glad for them to be completed - maybe in 2010.

Brenda - I have to admit it is a real hoot around here. :) ec

11/20/2008 11:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home